What pro producers are using.....

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Raddler

What pro producers are using.....

Post by Raddler » Tue May 19, 2009 4:20 am

Ok, I posed this question on another forum, but though here would be more appropriate......Does anyone have a link or some information regarding what some well known producers are using in terms of Daw's/software/hardware? I am just really curious what sort of stuff goes into producing pro tracks. My question arises because i'm slowly emptying my vst folder in Ableton, because I want to learn Live's native instruments inside out, and I'm finding it hard to do that with so many vst's!!! Do any of u guy's use strictly ableton's instruments and pull of some good music?? Are they underestimated as synths? (operator, analog......).I make minimal/techno. Thanx.

Superchibisan

Re: What pro producers are using.....

Post by Superchibisan » Tue May 19, 2009 6:22 am

you under estimate.

pro producers use anything they like. thats really the key to it all. find a tool you like and exploit it to no end.

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Tue May 19, 2009 8:09 am

I to am relying more and more on Abletons in-built instruments. I don't have Analogue so my 'go to' is Albino for subtractive synthesis. I'm also not a massive fan of autofilter so I use Fabfilter Simplon.

One thing I am keen to hear other people opinions on is the Reverb plugin. Who likes it? If not, what do you use instead?

(Raddler, you might want to check out the Computer Music Magazine free DVD's, they have pro every month talking through their kit and how they achieve their sound.)

philmb

Post by philmb » Tue May 19, 2009 10:38 am

Gotta agree here. Operator is underated.
I ALWAYS used Massive... FOR EVERYTHING.... Always thought operator seemed really basic n "simple" Till i started getting into it a bit. Now i'm finding it a lot easyer to get the sounds i want from it than i ever did with massive.. Theres not much you cant do with it, than you can with massive. you just end up using more automation.

It just seems basic at first coz, it dosnt have all the fx n stuff built in. You just drop whatever fx you want in after it. N draw in your automation as apposed to having a million lfo's, envelopes n a performer to assign to everything..
phil..........

clarknova

Post by clarknova » Tue May 19, 2009 1:08 pm

I only use Live 8's built in stuff, except for supatrigga. Can't live without that sweet glitchy little thing.

I'm no pro, but I was a plugin junkie for a long time. And I suddenly noticed that I spent more time checking out new vst's than I did actually making music. So now I try to strip everything down. Works for me, but to each his own of course.

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Superchibisan wrote:you under estimate.

pro producers use anything they like. thats really the key to it all. find a tool you like and exploit it to no end.

*COUGH*OPERATOR AND SAMPLER*COUGH*

timwright

Post by timwright » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:36 am

CamelPhat is my choice of filter...it's exceptional and nothing compares to it. I tend to use Live's built in delays now...as for synths, Sylenth1 is my go to synth. After that I use a combination of Operator, Z3ta+, FabFilter Twin, G Force Minimonsta, ZebraCM and a few others.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Hej Raddler...

take a look at the gearslutz forum. very nice are the video vault & tips & techniques section.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

peace&sun
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

beatflux

Post by beatflux » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Raddler wrote:Ok, I posed this question on another forum, but though here would be more appropriate......Does anyone have a link or some information regarding what some well known producers are using in terms of Daw's/software/hardware? I am just really curious what sort of stuff goes into producing pro tracks. My question arises because i'm slowly emptying my vst folder in Ableton, because I want to learn Live's native instruments inside out, and I'm finding it hard to do that with so many vst's!!! Do any of u guy's use strictly ableton's instruments and pull of some good music?? Are they underestimated as synths? (operator, analog......).I make minimal/techno. Thanx.
Don't get into the trap of thinking you need X Y and Z piece of equipment to make music.

davethedrummer

Post by davethedrummer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 pm

beatflux wrote:
Raddler wrote:Ok, I posed this question on another forum, but though here would be more appropriate......Does anyone have a link or some information regarding what some well known producers are using in terms of Daw's/software/hardware? I am just really curious what sort of stuff goes into producing pro tracks. My question arises because i'm slowly emptying my vst folder in Ableton, because I want to learn Live's native instruments inside out, and I'm finding it hard to do that with so many vst's!!! Do any of u guy's use strictly ableton's instruments and pull of some good music?? Are they underestimated as synths? (operator, analog......).I make minimal/techno. Thanx.
Don't get into the trap of thinking you need X Y and Z piece of equipment to make music.
Quite , It's ain't the gear, it's the idea.

having said that, learning a bit of kit inside out will help no end.
and all of Ableton's own effects and instruments are capable of just about anything you need.
the old ones are always the best

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:27 pm

^There's your pro producer Raddler. D.A.V.E r0x.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

mnmlmike

Post by mnmlmike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm

It's not the tools, its the carpenter....

tripandball

Post by tripandball » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:15 am

I agree with whats been stated, however, having the right amount of faders and buttons to improv the things you want to do...while "in the moment" can be important too. As for software, you can do tons of things with everything....and DAWS are getting closer and closer to sounding the same. But hardware, having things available at your fingertips is nice rather than ruining the moment and having to search through your browser. Something to think about.

FroBot

henrikee

Post by henrikee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 am

I do all my productions with these two: Ableton Live 8 Suite (boxed version) and Celemony Melodyne Editor (with DNA). Nothing else.
I think it is a matter of how goes your specific workflow. This works flawlessly for me.
If I am a pro or not, I'll let you decide. : )
My latest production is here:
www.henriqueamorim.com

nafe

Post by nafe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm

yeah, i reckon you just need to find something that works for you and learn the one vst. I used to have (and still own but dont use) shit loads of vst synths thinking that the more the better. now i pretty much just use Ultra Analogue UA 1 because for me its simple like a basic analogue synth (which i originally learnt on). my only issue with it is that it has only 2 oscillators not 3 which i would like. im now at a point where i can take the sound in my head and make it happen rather than randomly just clicking through millions of presets in vst's that i dont actually understand.
ps im not pro but we can all dream