Remote SL drum pad in Automap: make it not send note data??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Majnun

Remote SL drum pad in Automap: make it not send note data??

Post by Majnun » Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 am

I must be missing something obvious.

I have Remote SL in Automap 3 (template 38)

I have user map in channel 1... I can map encoders and sliders to various parameters, but when I try making one of the drum pads parameter to a CC message, or even a different midi note, it always seems to send a C1 (or whatever) note to Ableton.

I want to make it not a note so I can use it to trigger something in Ableton... for instance, how can I:

a) make it output a CC controller and not a note?
b) make it output a different note?

Dexes

Re: Remote SL drum pad in Automap: make it not send note data??

Post by Dexes » Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 am

I dont think you can actually chance what midi data is sent, using the automap server. What it does is translate the midi data sent, to the controls of the vst. So if you hit the left drum pad, it sends the C1 & a velocity value to the server which then translates it to the mapped vst control + value.

You could try editing the template directly on the SL (holding edit while hitting the pad you want to change and then selecting the control type & value you want to use using the encoders). Don't know how well this works with the automap server though, only did it with the Live Template (40) which doesn't automap the drumpads.

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Fri May 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Actually I think it does both... for the other controls anyway...(Unless I'm really confused)

For instance, I can change a fader's parameter to CC1 or CC127 or whatever. Otherwise what's that red field at the bottom with "parameter" that lets me pick the midi parameter type for?

Just doesn't seem to do anything when I change the drum pads parameter. The first pad always outputs a Note C1, etc.

Unless I can figure out how to send a non-note (or change the note data to a pitch I don't use often) with the drum pads to fire clips in Ableton, I'm thinking I may just give up on Automap... it's close to being exactly what I need... but I'm doing a lot of translating with Bomes anyway. And I think when I'm not automap template, I can tell the pads to output whatever I want (though I haven't confirmed this by trying yet).

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Majnun wrote: For instance, I can change a fader's parameter to CC1 or CC127 or whatever. Otherwise what's that red field at the bottom with "parameter" that lets me pick the midi parameter type for?
Interesting, when I click on the parameter button of a control I get a list of the different parameter names of the vst. Could be that the vst you are trying to control doesn't have the parameters named and so displays the midi cc that it's set to.

Just checked about changing the parameter sent from the SL, if you do that automap doesn't recognise it anymore.

Simplest solutions would be if you're using a remote zero sl to set your midi keyboard as input for the tracks you want to play.

Or if you have one with keyboard, you could try to set the drumpads to a different midi channel than the Remote SL's keys. Then set the track input to the channel the keys send on. As Live doesn't only map the cc/note/whatever, but also the midichannel, hitting the drumpads then shouldn't interfear with the notes sent to the instrument you are playing and vice versa.

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Sat May 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Oh, I'm using the User page associated with Midi Channel 1, not controlling a wrapped VST instrument.

Settings>midi channels> 1

Then browse to user page to see a blank page with generic CCs associated to all the controls.

That is where seemingly I can change midi params on everything, including pads, but pads only output note data regardless.

dathumper

Saving changes made to the RemoteSL

Post by dathumper » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:28 am

I'm trying to change the note values of the drum pad on the remoteSL so they correlate with the correct octave in Ableton.

I know the process to do this... press edit, change C1 to C3 etc...

After I complete this how might I save my changes so that every time I turn on my RemoteSL with Ableton the note values correlate to Ableton's Impulse drum rack. (to avoid setting it up every time).

mnmlmike

Post by mnmlmike » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey man I have a remote as well. Those pads suck basically they are unable to send a different message when you take your finger off (assuming you're using the Original Remote SL not the new crazy one) I have struggled with this for a while and really the only solution is to get the new Remote :(