simplest way to create a stereo spread effect?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kev herb

Re: simplest way to create a stereo spread effect?

Post by kev herb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:02 am

eq the left and right differently ie. put a dip at 5k on the left and an exact mirror image (boost) on the right. provided the original sound sums well to mono the eqed version will sum exactly the same.

another way i like is to set up 2 return tracks with reverb (small) 1 panned left and 1 right and make the reverbs slightly different from each other.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

Tenshi

Post by Tenshi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 pm

To be honest I have never found a simple way to spread stereo that was any good on its own.

For pads:

As someone has mentioned you can use the delay plugin to knock the channels out of phase, but I would go a few steps further:

1) You can use feedback!

2) The delay can be set to pitch bend so if you change the delay amount time stretch the incoming signal ... a la tape recorder. Modulate this over the clip, say like a hand drawn triangle wave LFO, and you have a simulated tape chorus. Throw feedback in the mix.

3) Do the above with 2 totally separate delay plugins in parallel, each with a different timing modulation.

4) Make the modulation envelops for each have an odd timing like 7 and 11 bars.

5) Once you have done (3) you have 3 (including the dry) totally separate signals. You can EQ each.

For beats:

This is a little trick I came up with the make transient sounds take up a more complex stereo space:

The idea is to split the signal using a gate.

1) Stick a gate in the track.

2) Group it.

3) Attach its threshold to a macro.

4) Duplicate it (inside the group).

5) Flip one of the gates.

> Now you have a gate-splitter. One signal is the loud bits the other the quiet bits.

6) Use the delay method to 'scatter' the 'loud' channel.

> The result is interesting. If you have a dynamic percussion loop it sounds really good. Fiddle with the threshold so just the peaks are stereo'd.

For the mix:

Im not sure why no-one else has ever pointed this out but I came up with this:

The idea is a familiar one: you can make something seem louder using a compressor! So split the signal into mid and side and add a compressor to the side signal. This is VERY effective. You can increase the presence and stereo spread of a mix without it peaking any louder.

PS: Final note, not everything has to be stereo. In the interest of balance, maybe some things should be mono too?

flosstradamus

Post by flosstradamus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:45 am

Just wanted to bump this. I found some useful info in here...

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 pm

^ Thanks for bumping. I learned a lot too!