Ableton Live Smart-Mixing Using Only Native Plugins

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
BentoSan

Re: Ableton Live Smart-Mixing Using Only Native Plugins

Post by BentoSan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm

midijay wrote:ok, so this looks awesome and i seem to have understood the pretty diagrams and got the setup working, but i have a few questions, mainly about the buttons for swapping dominant frequencies between the deck. this is probably because i've never used ableton before and am not familiar with the midi mapping options as i am in traktor.

so here goes.

in the first article on DJTT your last picture shows how to map the buttons (you've coloured them purple & blue).

1) you've titled your racks SC A, CUE A, SC B, SCA A in the picture. I presume the final rack is referring to CUE B and that's just a typo?

2) the way these buttons respond for me is that pressing & holding the button i've mapped for 'Low Off/On' changes the value from 0 to 127. As soon as I release the button it goes back to zero. Shouldn't the button work as a toggle rather than a hold? Plus, it doesn't seem that the button effects anything else in any of the racks, but maybe I'm not seeing what it does due to my lack of familiarity with Ableton. Also, my buttons are back lit, so it would be nice if the light stayed on (it is lit while being held down).

3) the buttons mapped for 'High Off/On' also works only when held. I notice however when it goes to 127 that the B compressors turn on and the A compressors turn off. But, again, only when held, not as a toggle?

4) My cue buttons work 100% in terms of functionality, but how can I tell ableton to 'light' them up?

On the whole your article is awesome and has made me explore a direction I vowed I would avoid. Your article was pretty clear and with very little effort I am managing to get Deck A and Deck B sound from traktor, into Ableton, and can mix for final output with volume faders and crossfaders and not loose Cueing functionality. So hands down praise to you on your work, I think I might just need some newbie tips.

Thanks.

MidiJay
1) Good spot ! yeah that was a typo i never noticed until you just mentioned it

2) What midi controller at you using ? Make sure that the midi message is sending a 127 on the down press and a 0 on the up press - this will make the knobs act as a toggle and not a hold.

3) Thats right one compressor is switched off while the other is switched on at the same time

4)If your controller responds to LED midi messages on the same midi message as the button that is sent then it should light up showing its activated.

Glad you like my work :)

midijay

Post by midijay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

using sendSX i can see my midi controller produces a 7F on the downpress, 00 on the release. So that's how you say it needs to be. But do I need to configure how ableton responds to that? on the screen it's a knob control so the 7F puts it to MAX and the moment it's released it returns to ZERO.

anyway, the controller is a Hercules DJC MK2. I actually only use this as my soundcard and I DJ with an MPD24 and SCS3d but figured it would be easier to utilise an unused midi controller to try out the controls.

-- oh weird, i tried an MPD button and it works! that's crazy, why would that be? i went and tried nearly every button on the hercules and they all have the 'hold' problem!

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 am

Sounds like your midi controller is sending CC information and note Note on Note off info.

CC info is used for knobs/faders, that would explain why it acting like a toggle - you need to make it send note info to make it act as a toggle.

allareone_tcf

Post by allareone_tcf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm

bento thanks for that template...

in my setup it seems i'm having trouble setting up my macro mappings for the toggles

low and high toggle isn't turning on/off respectively the compression properly for all four...

[SC A] [CUE A] [SC B] [CUE B] are all on at the same time with highs

[CUE A] [SC B] [CUE B] for the lows

what can i do to remedy this?

thanks for any input, will donate for your time

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:52 am

Whohoo! Bento's smartmixer at work for the djtt contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAff5WS ... tube_gdata

I have the smart mixer set up on 5 KNOBS of my APC40! Basically where pans 1,2,3,5, and 7 are.

1 is low comp amt
2 is freq split
3 is high comp amount
5 is low on/off decks A/B
7 is high on/off decks A/B

in my setup the on/off switches midi learned to knobs means they actually 'point' left to deck A or right to deck B making it a no-brainer which track's bass or highs you want :)!!!

OnE thing to note however, is the APC can be buggy on startup, so always be sure to rotate your knobs in full before a gig. If you don't, you may run into jumpy encoders!

I used it in this vid but you'd never know because I really just set and forget for most of it. If you listen close and watch my hands when I bring in the second set of higher pitch Renegade Master samples, you can actually hear me screw up the smart compression by over Smart-compressing the actual track with the samples I'm juggling. Don't tell anyone it was a mess up though okay!?!

OT:
Bento you gotta get Ean to filter those contest entries somehow man!!

MrH

Post by MrH » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 pm

RCUS wrote:Whohoo! Bento's smartmixer at work for the djtt contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAff5WS ... tube_gdata

I have the smart mixer set up on 5 KNOBS of my APC40! Basically where pans 1,2,3,5, and 7 are.

1 is low comp amt
2 is freq split
3 is high comp amount
5 is low on/off decks A/B
7 is high on/off decks A/B

in my setup the on/off switches midi learned to knobs means they actually 'point' left to deck A or right to deck B making it a no-brainer which track's bass or highs you want :)!!!

OnE thing to note however, is the APC can be buggy on startup, so always be sure to rotate your knobs in full before a gig. If you don't, you may run into jumpy encoders!

I used it in this vid but you'd never know because I really just set and forget for most of it. If you listen close and watch my hands when I bring in the second set of higher pitch Renegade Master samples, you can actually hear me screw up the smart compression by over Smart-compressing the actual track with the samples I'm juggling. Don't tell anyone it was a mess up though okay!?!

OT:
Bento you gotta get Ean to filter those contest entries somehow man!!
Cool. Any chance of posting up a blank set with how you mapped it to APC?
Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I will try to come up with something today. Unfortunately I recently moved and my only access to the Internet is through my iPhone until I get a new netbook/laptop. My workstation and live rig do not go online :)

I think I have the basic version of my live set on my computer at work, but my APC is at home so I may just need to explain how to do it.

I'll keep you posted!

MrH

Post by MrH » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:45 pm

An explanation would be good. Great video.
Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:48 pm

If they are all switching when you hit the button it is likely that you just need to grab the file fresh again and map it according to the tutorial step by step. Feel free to contact me via skype though and i can talk you through your issue better.

Just a bit of unrelated news, but i am will be putting out a M4l patch or two soon - http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11622

3 band EQ + two in one filter + channel volume curve control + manual gating effect.

Very very useful must have tools for djing and live performance !

tmcmahon2

Post by tmcmahon2 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi BentoSan
BentoSan wrote:If they are all switching when you hit the button it is likely that you just need to grab the file fresh again and map it according to the tutorial step by step. Feel free to contact me via skype though and i can talk you through your issue better.

Just a bit of unrelated news, but i am will be putting out a M4l patch or two soon - http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11622

3 band EQ + two in one filter + channel volume curve control + manual gating effect.

Very very useful must have tools for djing and live performance !
Are you going to tie that into your smart mixer setup?

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:18 am

tmcmahon2 wrote: Are you going to tie that into your smart mixer setup?
I may just do that when i M4lify the smartmixer

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:46 am

Having tested the eq and filter device i can say it's the cleanest dj eq i've used, no colouration and as close to a hardware eq as dammnit....

I've just added a couple of line objects to the filter so that i can press a button and have it slide down or up the filter...

Wicked!

Cheers
D

JamesFB

Post by JamesFB » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 am

I just finished editing this device... really cool shit.

Added a band pass filter and tried to make it a bit cleaner -- enjoy!

http://www.jamesfb.com/wp-content/uploa ... 0Mixer.adg

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:11 am

thanks a lot! This looks very promising...
i drop on the lokeymassive

leolodreamland

Post by leolodreamland » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:00 am

did this ever get updated with max4live? do people still use it? how does it look with traktor pro 2? sample decks?