Best way to "print" effects on clip and ditch the FX device?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jah4life

Best way to "print" effects on clip and ditch the FX device?

Post by jah4life » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Hello, This may be a noob question. Maybe I should RTFM a little more, but perhaps this is easy and someone could tell me more quickly.

I want to be able to put an ABLETON FX device on a track(s), get the clip sounding right in ABLETON, (within the same set that I'm working on), then instead of saving the clip/track with all the effects devices attached to it, PRINT that clip in order to use it as it sounds without all the added CPU hogging of the attached FX.

Does this make sense? What's better - resampling? Use the arrange view somehow? Bounce to disk and then import the new file (which is the least desirable option)?

Thus far, I get a loop cut right in BIAS PEAK and listen in ableton to the whole mix. If it doesn't sound good, I go back to BIAS to tweak EQ settings or add effects, print it and then import it back to ableton. Problem is, I usually have to re-warp those tracks, and if it doesn't sound right, I have to go back to PEAK again and again...

arafel

Re: Best way to "print" effects on clip and ditch the FX device?

Post by arafel » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Live has the easiest way to 'print', and then use the audio.

Freeze track (this prints all fx, automation, etc into a temp audio file)
Drag your 'frozen' (it looks blue) clip to a new audio track.
That clip is now usable in any way you see fit
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:51 pm

have two or three or 10 resampling tracks.

this is better if your doing things live-ish and are trying to stay in the groove of things without too many mouse clicks

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 pm

You don't have to bounce or freeze and import. Resampling is best if you are doing one sound at a time, it ensures you don't route back to the master out most easily.

To capture on the fly, there are a couple of options:

I) In session view, just route the "audio to" an audio track and arm it, make sure 1) your clip launch is quantized for the length of the clip you want and 2) the armed track is muted then 3) hit record on a session slot in the armed track.

II) Same as above, but use looper in the destination track to capture the loop (for that it is best to RTFM).
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:08 pm

disagree - freeze is dead simple and takes into account tails on effects.

best to know, use and try all the methods.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Yeah... Freeze then flatten
but what i do to is to have a folder where you can save a channel strip. This saves all the effects audio or midi and automation
you simply have the folder in the ableton browser and drag the clip or channel across to it.
This is a amazing channel back up or a way to use the same channel in a other track.
you can name your folders like say.... techno.... then drums... then kick

anyway...

Freeze and drag is my favorite. This allow you to have a copy of the midi and audio plus it saves the tails of say a release or reverb or delay etc.

This is a good way of working, cause having limitations often allows you to get better result. Its old school tape methods.
You get you bass the way you want, then bounce, get your drums the way you want then bounce and so on...
Its to easy no days with so many plug ins and total recall to spend days trying to get the perfect lead sound but by that point the vibe of the track is gone and all that needless tweeking is pointless.
Music is all about vibe if that is not there you dont have a track. Yes it needs to sound pro but it can sound pro and not have life or any interest. So the fact it sounds pro has no point.

Sorry i went a bit of track... but i was on a bit of a rant lol

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:14 am

michaellpenman wrote: Freeze and drag is my favorite. This allow you to have a copy of the midi and audio plus it saves the tails of say a release or reverb or delay etc.

This is a good way of working, cause having limitations often allows you to get better result. Its old school tape methods.
You get you bass the way you want, then bounce, get your drums the way you want then bounce and so on...
Its to easy no days with so many plug ins and total recall to spend days trying to get the perfect lead sound but by that point the vibe of the track is gone and all that needless tweeking is pointless.
Music is all about vibe if that is not there you dont have a track. Yes it needs to sound pro but it can sound pro and not have life or any interest. So the fact it sounds pro has no point.

Sorry i went a bit of track... but i was on a bit of a rant lol

thank you!
at the time i'm working with a guy, who just can't say stop, and keeps flipping through presets. sometimes you just have trust your initial impulse and let it sit. oh, and make your own presets of course.

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:22 am

Yeah i have a Computer Music article about it i will try and find it and scan it. it is very insightful and helpful

jah4life

Post by jah4life » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 am

Ah ok so I tried the Freeze thing. when I drag the clip to another track it's dry (no fx). Did I mention I'm using Live 5? Is there something I'm not doing right?

Resampling works, but since freeze preserves reverb and delay tails, that would be the best (if I could get it to work).

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:05 am

MMM i'm on 7 at the moment.
Really man just goes with what works, what might be best some isnt always best for all.
also try doing freeze then flatten

tommythompson777

Post by tommythompson777 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:53 am

Resampling will still capture all of your effect tails and everything if you record the tails.? will it not?