MIDI equivalent of Simple Delay

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rollandjb

MIDI equivalent of Simple Delay

Post by rollandjb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Is there a way to delay MIDI on a MIDI track in the same way that the Simple Delay Audio Effect delays audio on an audio track?

Many thanks
Rolland

Bachoro

Re: MIDI equivalent of Simple Delay

Post by Bachoro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Haven't found this in Ableton, though it shouldn't be very difficult to implement.
So I turned to Plogue Bidule, that's very easy to set a simple plug-in which delays MIDI... Plus it is not expensive compared to its wealth of possibilities.

rollandjb

Post by rollandjb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:45 am

Bachoro wrote:Haven't found this in Ableton, though it shouldn't be very difficult to implement.
So there is a way to do it currently?
Bachoro wrote:So I turned to Plogue Bidule, that's very easy to set a simple plug-in which delays MIDI... Plus it is not expensive compared to its wealth of possibilities.
Thanks for that. I suppose Max for Live will also provide a solution.

GilJ

Post by GilJ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi,

Yes you can have a kind of MIDI equivalent of Simple Delay with Live's midi effect Arpeggiator
1- Set Retrigger to Note
2- Set Repeat to 1 (if you only want to delay MIDI notes without them repeating)
3- Switch sync to Free (if you want to set the delayed value in ms)
And here you go :)

Cheers,
GilJ.

rollandjb

Post by rollandjb » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The arpeggiator didn't seem to work for me.

I am trying to shift the notes of the currently playing clip on a track by 1/2 a bar.

GilJ

Post by GilJ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:47 am

Have you tried moving the start marker of the MIDI clip by 1/2 bar?

rollandjb

Post by rollandjb » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm

GilJ wrote:Have you tried moving the start marker of the MIDI clip by 1/2 bar?
Let me explain what I am trying to achieve.

I have a Drum Groove practice book that lists 149 Bass drum variations possible in 2 beats using up to 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes. It does the same for snare and Hi Hat. Now there are over twenty thousand ways in which such pairs of 2 beat bass drum clips can be combined into a 4/4 bar. So I wanted to create the 2 beat clips once and place them in two adjacent tracks (each track then contains the same clips), and delay the second track by 2 beats, thereby able to easily try out different combinations.

I was able to achieve this by placing the same drum kit on both tracks and including an Audio Simple Delay on the second track. But I want to do it in midi so that I output the midi from both tracks to a third track containing the drum kit.

I was then going to do the same with snare and Hi Hat.

Let me also say that I set this as an exercise for myself as part of learning Live

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:26 pm

i very often find myself wanting a midi delay and it should be able to give negative values. for example if i have a drumrack with a hihat and a kickdrum, and i want the hihat to trigger slightly before the kick (a few milliseconds), but without delaying the kick.

GilJ

Post by GilJ » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:45 am

rollandjb wrote:
Let me explain what I am trying to achieve.

I have a Drum Groove practice book that lists 149 Bass drum variations possible in 2 beats using up to 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes. It does the same for snare and Hi Hat. Now there are over twenty thousand ways in which such pairs of 2 beat bass drum clips can be combined into a 4/4 bar. So I wanted to create the 2 beat clips once and place them in two adjacent tracks (each track then contains the same clips), and delay the second track by 2 beats, thereby able to easily try out different combinations.

I was able to achieve this by placing the same drum kit on both tracks and including an Audio Simple Delay on the second track. But I want to do it in midi so that I output the midi from both tracks to a third track containing the drum kit.

I was then going to do the same with snare and Hi Hat.

Let me also say that I set this as an exercise for myself as part of learning Live
Ok, I see.
I still think that if you offset the start marker of the second MIDI clip, it should work as you want to. (Have you tried moving the start marker - the small 'triangle' - of the MIDI Clip?)

rollandjb

Post by rollandjb » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm

GilJ wrote: Ok, I see.
I still think that if you offset the start marker of the second MIDI clip, it should work as you want to. (Have you tried moving the start marker - the small 'triangle' - of the MIDI Clip?)
Well, I want to use the identical clips on both tracks, and all the clips have midi notes only in the first 2 beats--the second two beats are empty. So moving the start marker would result in empty clips?

Following on from your suggestion though, I could place 2 identical 2 beat patterns in each clip and then use the start and end markers to select the first part of the clip in the first track and the second half of the clip in the second track. If this would work and there was a way to start and offsets at the track level, then that would solve the problem, although it does seem somewhat convoluted.

By the way, thank you very much for your suggestions. You are certainly encouraging me to think about the problem!

I have this nasty feeling that there is a simple solution that I am missing ...

rollandjb

Post by rollandjb » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:37 am

Moving the start marker by 1/2 a bar back does actually work. Thanks.

Now all I need is to be able to set the start marker for the entire track.