What is your process for new music?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
s33m0h

What is your process for new music?

Post by s33m0h » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:32 pm

If you use Ableton Live for mixing tracks into sets please explain what you do, starting with purchasing them from digital stores.

For example:

1. Download all new tracks to a designated folder, I use a folder called 1
2. Use Tag & Rename to fix tags, remove comments, & rename files
3. Listen to each track again and drop into appropriate folder by genre & sub-genre
4. Run ScratchTools.jar to synchronize with SSL
5. Build overviews & rescan id3 tags in SSL, then delete missing files
--
I'm guessing here, but would some of you have additional steps, such as Mixed in Key, synchronizing folders & subfolders with Live 8, building analysis files in Live 8, dropping tracks into the session view as clips? What else?

Do some of you go ahead and set warp markers, cue points, loops, designate colors for each clip depending on genre, etc to your new tracks each week, before you even play them?
That night that thing happened that magic happened that night night night - Jazzanova

sherman

Re: What is your process for new music?

Post by sherman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 am

Basically, all I do:

- Download/Rip to a sorting folder
- If downloaded, convert to a wav file. This does make a huge difference, using wavs will eliminate alot of problems.
- Drag to an audio track in live, to make a new clip
- Warp and save the track. Check out http://www.vinkalmann.com/VINKALMANN_Warping_Guide.pdf if you're new to this.
- umm, next? :P

Hope this helps
--sherman

s33m0h

Post by s33m0h » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes, it helps. I will check the link you posted next.

Thanks for the tip about wav files, that makes sense. Guess I will switch back to purchasing wav files when available and converting to 320 for SSL while using the wavs for Live.

Anyone else?

I'm looking for tips on how to lay out "studio mixes" or "studio dj sets."

Last time I would change the bpm by using the pencil, creating dots, and raising or lowering the line to a desired bpm; is this common practice? Is there another way?
That night that thing happened that magic happened that night night night - Jazzanova

nsinclair

Post by nsinclair » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:03 am

Similar to this, I've always wondered the best way to switch between Live sets. Say you have two original songs, you are playing one and want to transition into the next...what would be the best way to do this? Thanks.

mickyweir84

Post by mickyweir84 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:55 am

I also would like to know how to set cue points (start of track)? I don't think it's actually possible in Ableton. You can warp the waveform for your desired start cue to be at the 1st beat though. It plays from then on, missing out anything before that point. You can set cue point in a track in the Pioneer DJ Software exactly the same way as using a real CDJ. However you can't use a MIDI Controller like in Ableton.

domtak

Post by domtak » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:57 pm

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but you would just move the start point of the loop to outside the start of the loop. The audoi will then start from there, play into the loop markers and then loop.

Is this what you meant?

Dom

Offbeat Bureau

Post by Offbeat Bureau » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:00 am

:D :mrgreen: 8O :lol: :o :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
SHADE (LIVE PA)
Triphop.Ambient.Downbeat.Abstract.Dubstep.Electronica
shadespace