Help setting up MPK 25

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supayoot

Help setting up MPK 25

Post by supayoot » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to Live and picked up the Akai MPK25 as a control surface for Live 8.

The notes & pads work fine, but I need to assign the other knobs to adjust track volume and other parameters.

I was surprised to find that the MPK25 isn't a natively supported device, but the MPK49 is. I've checked for updates but I'm on the latest version.

Being a noob I'm wondering why this is and whether I should now manually configure - something that I'm not too pleased about as I assumed that it would be supported seeing as it comes with Live lite. I'm concerned that I may make a right mess if I start configuring myself LOL!

Any help would be gratefully received.

fattofatto

Re: Help setting up MPK 25

Post by fattofatto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:05 am

Do let me know what you find out please. I just bought the MPK25 and wasn't sure what to choose in Live under Control Surfaces...
Cheers!
I'm using the Akai MPK25 with the Akai APC40...

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:01 am

surly its just apple m tp bring up the midi.
And maybe you should check the presets or email AKAI about it.
Check you midi settings so they and remote. and they are set in the control surfaces

fattofatto

Post by fattofatto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:45 am

michaellpenman wrote:surly its just apple m tp bring up the midi.
And maybe you should check the presets or email AKAI about it.
Check you midi settings so they and remote. and they are set in the control surfaces
mmm...??? :?

Offbeat Bureau

Post by Offbeat Bureau » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:37 am

supayoot wrote:Being a noob I'm wondering why this is and whether I should now manually configure - something that I'm not too pleased about as I assumed that it would be supported seeing as it comes with Live lite. I'm concerned that I may make a right mess if I start configuring myself LOL!

Any help would be gratefully received.
Hey brotha

Sounds like your first midi experience awaits you man, and you should definitely not be afraid of such a thing. Believe it or not it was only a few odd years ago (yep, less than 10) that manual midi routing and configuration was - and currently still is (minus the headache of the outboard sequencer lol) - THE NORM since it was birthed. Whether you want to get serious about audio production or just casually enjoy it as a creative outlet, having an understanding of - and actually caring about - what is happening within your environment, has the potential to gift you with the chance for expotential growth, fulfillment, intergration and wisdom.

Anyways, good luck on your journey man, and remember to take care while crossing paths with the evil 'Midi Feedback Monster' which dwells in the space between spaces, and has the very real potential to propogate destruction of any tech gear within your immediate vincinity and a headache which can possibily last up to 20 years or more....

Peace

P.S Drop me a PM if you would like any help in resolving any midi issues or clarifying tingz in your mind, and I'll see if I can help! :)
SHADE (LIVE PA)
Triphop.Ambient.Downbeat.Abstract.Dubstep.Electronica
shadespace

jkob

Post by jkob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:32 pm

hey.
got the mpk too.
i selected the device in the control surfaces from the mpk49 on the top of the midi preferences.
all works fine, until you want to assign your own midi cc..

there can be a problem:
maybe if you assign a knob to a (for example) cutoff, it also moves the level of a track..
maybe because its already assigned to the cc20 intern of the mpk and in the control surface it is selected.

if i deselect the control surface, the transport buttons have to be programmed in the right way.

what i want to say is: take your time..sometimes its not that easy and iam still figuring out how to solve it. i will let you now.

fattofatto

Post by fattofatto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:47 pm

jkob wrote:hey.
got the mpk too.
i selected the device in the control surfaces from the mpk49 on the top of the midi preferences.
all works fine, until you want to assign your own midi cc..

there can be a problem:
maybe if you assign a knob to a (for example) cutoff, it also moves the level of a track..
maybe because its already assigned to the cc20 intern of the mpk and in the control surface it is selected.

if i deselect the control surface, the transport buttons have to be programmed in the right way.

what i want to say is: take your time..sometimes its not that easy and iam still figuring out how to solve it. i will let you now.

Thanks for that, mate! Yeah, for the moment, I selected the MPK49 too. As for the knobs etc... :? :)

jkob

Post by jkob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:17 pm

hey. called the service at ableton and discussed that.

two options:

a. select it as a control device. but theres problem with the script because, its for the 49, not for the 25. have to wait until there is a new 25 script.

b. deselect it in the control surface, select an empty template in the mpk. then program it like you want. then save it.

hope it helps.

fattofatto

Post by fattofatto » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your call info...I guess if I'm primarily using the APC40 then just setting it as a control device using the MPK49 template should be fine for now...right??

jkob

Post by jkob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:26 pm

right. best way i think.

jkob

Post by jkob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 pm

HEY!

Anybody figured out, how to program Midi CC to the pads for the mpk?
i only found an Note or program change for the pads..
thats not, what i want.

anyone?

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Just bought an MPK25 today and I'm having a similar problem. I would love it if the pads controlled CC can anyone help with this?
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB-RAMM
Ableton Live 7
Dave Smith MoPho Keyboard
Maschine
Korg NanoKontrol
Motu Ultralite MK3
EHX - Big Muff & Memory Boy

chat_fou

Post by chat_fou » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 pm

hi

do you have found a good solution to make the mpk25 works with live8 ?

I have bought the mpk today and I am disappointed with the set up in live and the bad quality of the pads, they are too hard :s but I dont know if the pads are better on axiom 25 pro or novation keyboard for example

is there a preset somewhere to set up easily the mpk25 with live8 ?

chat_fou

Post by chat_fou » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:18 pm

hi

the mpk25 is recognized in Live 8.05b9 good
I assign a knobs on a fader, but when I change the value of the fader in live, the value on the mpk doesnt change as well... is it normal ? the communication seems to work only from mpk to live but not from live to mpk

In midi preferences, I have set the mpk25 as control surface on the first row and I have activate the mpk25 input and output in the midi ports list

do you succeed to make it works??

luzil

Post by luzil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi chat fou

im thinking about buying the mpk25, mostly because of the velocity and pressure sensitive drum pads and to control operator fm synth with the many knobs, the layout of the mpk seems perfect for this. Are the drum pads really so bad? Heard that especially AKAI is known for the best pads, but maybe this is only the mpc series. Have u already tried to change sensitiviy of the velocity curves of the pads. It is described in the manual and should vary how hard u have to hit a pad to trigger midi.

On ur questoin on the fader, i think u mixed this with automated motorized fader with bi directional linking between DAW and controller. These simple controllers are mostly one directional, so u can only controll the DAW with it.