Audio routing question: PC to soundcard to mixer.. and back?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
EuphoricHed

Audio routing question: PC to soundcard to mixer.. and back?

Post by EuphoricHed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:38 pm

Hey all,

I'm wondering whether the following is possible and would be really grateful for your feedback.

I've got my laptop running four channels of audio from Ableton into my Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ external sound interface. Those four channels are then sent as four stereo pairs into my Xone mixer. All good - everything works up to this point.

What I'd really like to do is take the master output from my Xone back into my laptop, either via the external soundcard or directly into the laptop, and send it out via the laptop's USB speaker which is actually a dongle that sends audio wirelessly to the amp that's on the other side of the room...

I just can't figure out the right audio routing for this though.

The Audio 8 comes with a bare bones driver that doesn't include a mixer application, so I'm guessing I have to do it with XP's audio setup. I've tried loads of different combinations, but no success so far.

Any ideas? Is this even possible?!

Rob

three

Re: Audio routing question: PC to soundcard to mixer.. and back?

Post by three » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 pm

EuphoricHed wrote: Any ideas? Is this even possible?!
To start, the obligatory "It's easy to do on OSX" comment. (Also easy to do on Linux. Not sure if jack exists/is stable for Windowns)

Your problem lies in the fact that ableton can only talk to one sound card, so you need to route the output from the A&H through "something" and into the USB output to your stereo.

I think the easiest thing to do here is probably to run the output of the A&H back through your laptop's built-in sound card and route that out the USB connection. This will certainly degrade your sound, but given that you're using a wireless USB setup I assume that's something you're too terribly worried about.

longjohns

Re: Audio routing question: PC to soundcard to mixer.. and back?

Post by longjohns » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

something lightweight,

audacity or maybe you can get an audio input plugin for winamp2

sounds like a cpu hit and a latency problem to me but you'll just have to give it a try