How to make the sound stutter ?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Tyrexionibus
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 am
Location: ITALY
Contact:

How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by Tyrexionibus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Hello there,

very n00b question.

I know that in other DJ software there is a trick to make the sound "stutter", i.e. to make the program play "I-i-i-a-a-a-m-m-m-t-t-t-0-0-0-n-n-n-0-0-0-b-b-b-" instead of simply "I am too n00b".

Maybe Live can do the same trick with some effects chained ?

Thanks to anyone who'll answer.

****

Regards TYREXIONIBUS

michaellpenman
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: edinburgh
Contact:

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by michaellpenman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:13 pm

try using beat beatpeat,
play with the offset to scroll through the sample
try the gate or ins setting
Or cut the loop in to the seprate parts of the word
then make into clips
set the clip launch to gate and then midi or key map to keys

hurlingdervish
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 am
Location: The New England Colonies

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by hurlingdervish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:19 pm

i think hes refering to stretching not slicing

open up the clip and warp it to be as long as possible and go to the grain settings and mess around

if it doesnt warp enough consolidate it and do it again until it sounds right

re.mark
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: UK

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by re.mark » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Personally when I want a stutter, theres a particualr way i want it to sound, depending on the word/type of sound, to that end I find beatrepeat unmanageble, and much perfer to get down and raw with the audio, and litterly copy/paste/duplicate.
Edit: or as mentioned above, time stretch and mess with various warp modes to suit.

Superchibisan
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:25 pm

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:55 pm

its all about the cut and paste.

ableton has a neat command called ctrl+D (or apple+d). highlight the section of audio you want to duplicate and hit that command! works great.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24155
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:26 pm

another way is to assign one knob to global quantize and another to clip launch. as you twiddle the clip launch knob the clip restarts, you change the stutter amount with the other. not very adaptable to more than one clip at a time but it's fun.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tyrexionibus
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 am
Location: ITALY
Contact:

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by Tyrexionibus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:26 pm

I know the BEAT REPEAT method.. but! that's kinda hard to configure.

I've tried to assign a note (in my MIDI keyboard) to "Repeat" ON/OFF, but I'm experiencing an issue: even if REPEAT is deactivated, the beat stutters, so I have found no way to stop doing the effect I want!

Does anybody have a workaround for this ?

***

Regards TYREXIONIBUS

Superchibisan
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:25 pm

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 pm

re.mark wrote:Personally when I want a stutter, theres a particualr way i want it to sound, depending on the word/type of sound, to that end I find beatrepeat unmanageble, and much perfer to get down and raw with the audio, and litterly copy/paste/duplicate.
Edit: or as mentioned above, time stretch and mess with various warp modes to suit.
Superchibisan wrote:its all about the cut and paste.

ableton has a neat command called ctrl+D (or apple+d). highlight the section of audio you want to duplicate and hit that command! works great.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24155
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Superchibisan wrote:
re.mark wrote:Personally when I want a stutter, theres a particualr way i want it to sound, depending on the word/type of sound, to that end I find beatrepeat unmanageble, and much perfer to get down and raw with the audio, and litterly copy/paste/duplicate.
Edit: or as mentioned above, time stretch and mess with various warp modes to suit.
Superchibisan wrote:its all about the cut and paste.

ableton has a neat command called ctrl+D (or apple+d). highlight the section of audio you want to duplicate and hit that command! works great.
no offense to the original poster, but it's been a day and a half and he hasn't tried this. surely he'd be over and done with this part of the project if he'd just chop and paste.

I find it highly amusing when people do this. I do it sometimes myself.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

blitit
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by blitit » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:54 pm

try using dblue glitch vst

hurlingdervish
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 am
Location: The New England Colonies

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by hurlingdervish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 pm

im 90 percent sure he didnt mean chopping....

i think hes refering to the part in dance songs when the beat drops and the vocal sample is stretched out to two bars

bias24
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:21 am

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by bias24 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:50 pm

cut n paste is the most effective method it takes time but the results are worth it..
or adjust the sample speed and beat marker consolidate repeat...

michaellpenman
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: edinburgh
Contact:

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by michaellpenman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 am

hurlingdervish wrote:im 90 percent sure he didnt mean chopping....

i think hes refering to the part in dance songs when the beat drops and the vocal sample is stretched out to two bars
He said stutter and repeat each letter, so i guess that means stutter, not stretch.

hurlingdervish
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 am
Location: The New England Colonies

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:04 am

michaellpenman wrote:
hurlingdervish wrote:im 90 percent sure he didnt mean chopping....

i think hes refering to the part in dance songs when the beat drops and the vocal sample is stretched out to two bars
He said stutter and repeat each letter, so i guess that means stutter, not stretch.
right i know that but when you stretch it and turn the grain up it repeats each syllable

you know what i mean, its used in almost every break in dance tunes now adays

hurlingdervish
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 am
Location: The New England Colonies

Re: How to make the sound stutter ?

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:09 am

like this

http://www.box.net/shared/ihjqym740o

that would make much for sense for vocal samples

if you dice it you wont be able to understand what their saying

Post Reply