How would you do it?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Patbos

How would you do it?

Post by Patbos » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Me and a friend are doing a mashup-project.

The problem right now for us, is a system that is easy to have an overview on, saying: What goes good with what!
What loops fits with other loops.

the whole set is now around 1.5 hour, and now we have made each part into a sequensed song.
But we want to play around with loops, so be able to jump free between different parts and maybe remix some more live!

Im thinking: what order? suggestion on a color-system on the clips?

Please, go nuts, how would you do it?

Equipment:
Laptop
APC-40
DJ-mixer with turntable to it for scratching samples using Ammobox 1.6 back to the laptop.

AudioRuso

Re: How would you do it?

Post by AudioRuso » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:03 am

It's hard to understand exactly what you're asking.... but it seems like you're asking how a live set should be set up.

The best way I have found is using instrument/audio racks.

If you are running live 8 you will be in for a treat.

What I do to prepare my tracks for live use is first of all limit my tracks to 8 ableton tracks... this is just personal preference and because all my controllers line up nicely with 8.

Then I take all my VST tracks and sample the vst's output without ableton effects to an audio track and then drag the effects from the vst track to the audio track... VST's are gonna cause you trouble. They crash, put strain on the cpu and gobble down ram.... but if you limit effect use in the vst's and use ableton's effects instead you can still have the very nice effects trails.

Now the fun part.... if you're using live 8 what you can do is make an audio track and a midi track. Now you can group them together (by selecting and rightclicking and selecting the option)... this will combine both tracks into one and allow you to run Either a midi clip with an instrument OR a sampled audio clip of the instrument with the effects.

What you want to do is drag an instrument rack into the midi track and an audio effect rack into the audio track... (by the way you can unfold the track to show the two tracks that are grouped inside).

So lets get this concept across....... what you'll be doing is adding a chain to the racks inside those tracks..... each instrument will have its own chain. Then you will make the clip select that chain in the rack. So now you can have multiple instruments per track and you can freely trigger any clip from any track at any time thus allowing complete freedom over your performance.

I realize that I probably lost you :). I can send you an example if you either get a hold of me on AIM (Dmitri Serge Jr) or email me (ruso@audio-ruso.com)

Good luck.... reference the live manual and look up the terms I used it will make a bit more sense.

neslo1963

Post by neslo1963 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 am

Yes, I would also use a instrument/audio rack for your job. It give a good flexibility.
Spezialized in tagrenovering, solvarme and jordvarme.

never

Post by never » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Though it was difficult to make out what you're asking for, I've managed it and I would agree that using an instrument is better :)

Patbos

Post by Patbos » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 am

Hey!

Thanks for a really extensive answer!
But :-/
I missunderstood me... its hard to explain too :P

We are only using audio-clips.
And we have a whole bunch on them.

Some is used several times during the gig, others just once!

We need a system that says what loops fits with other loops.
One beat fits with theese basslines and this acapella, but not with those and those...

As i said, colors, several channels... the smallest tip is huge for us =)

fuadvonloop

Post by fuadvonloop » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 pm

clip colors ??