one vst on multiple midi channels

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ctdf

one vst on multiple midi channels

Post by ctdf » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:59 pm

so i can isolate different areas for things like drum programming e.g. for sidechain compression etc.

AudioRuso

Re: one vst on multiple midi channels

Post by AudioRuso » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:48 am

hmm well that is not really possible.... what is possible is having two midi tracks send midi NOTES to the same vst.... but that doesn't help isolate. I'm afraid the only thing you can do is duplicate the track and remove the elements you don't want.

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:35 am

how do you do that?

the way im thinking it would be done doesn't appear to be working

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 pm

When you have the vst the way you want it, just rightclick on the title of the track and duplicate it.... now you can have one do half and the other do the other half...

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 pm

ah i thought that was running two instances of it with info copied over, thanks!

zalo

Post by zalo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:53 am

it is

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:55 pm

i just noticed this with my CPU being eaten up :( , is there a way around this?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 pm

ctdf wrote:i just noticed this with my CPU being eaten up :( , is there a way around this?
Freezing.

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:05 pm

but then i cant edit it in the same way???

in cubase i use to have one midi channel running my hi's, another for my kick etc. etc. all running off the same instance off one vst, where i could edit all the bits etc. easily

is there no way to do this at all?

geo

Post by geo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:41 pm

What vst are you using for your drums?

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:40 pm

battery

Mr F

Post by Mr F » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:33 pm

assign you kicks, snares etc.... to separate outputs in battery, then through ableton create a audio channel that monitors each battery output you want to use. These new audio channels are then available in the sidechain options of effects ;)...

I'm an old cubase head myself... if you dont know how to assign multple outputs from vst's then i've taken this tip from sounds on sound...http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/a ... h_0706.htm

Live can also accommodate instruments with multiple outputs. We'll use the Impulse drum machine as an example, as it comes with Live and is a cool little instrument anyway. In this scenario, we'll play the drum sounds from a MIDI controller, and send each Impulse sound to its own output for individual processing. Here are the steps required to accomplish this.

Impulse, the drum module included with Live, provides up to eight individual audio outputs (one for each drum sound). This screenshot shows channel nine feeding Impulse MIDI data, and each sound appearing over its own audio track.
Create a MIDI track.

Set the MIDI From field to whatever will receive your controller's MIDI output (such as All Ins).

Decide how many individual outputs you want to use, and create an equivalent number of audio tracks. For example, if you want to assign each of the eight Impulse sounds to an individual output (and you can indeed do this), you would create eight audio tracks dedicated to Impulse.

Set each audio track's upper Audio From field to the MIDI track.

Each audio track's lower Audio From field provides a pop-up menu showing Impulse's individual outputs. Choose the desired output for each track.

In terms of monitoring, you have the usual two options: Record-enable a track and set Monitor to Auto, or simply have the track monitor the input ('In'). I generally prefer not to record all the outputs as Audio, but simply monitor the 'In' while recording so I can hear the results of playing the MIDI part. After the part is recorded, I switch Monitor to Auto.

Of course, when using instruments which have multiple outputs, you need to make sure that you've assigned sounds properly to output channels within the instrument itself.

Once you've got your head around this, it's handy to group track the vst and all the outputs in to one 8)

Hope this helps!
Helpful online tool: Music Calculator

Setup
Ableton Suite 8.2.5
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit
2.83ghz Quad Core
6GB ram
RME Fireface 400 (Fw) 3.047
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote SL MKII
NI Maschine 1.5
Focusrite Liquid Mix 3.0 (Firewire)

geo

Post by geo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Exactly, on the bottom right of Battery interface you select the output of a selected drum sample. Then, you can create audio channels in Live and set their "Audio From" field to "Battery" and from the field just underneath, you select the particular Battery output that you want and set the "Monitor" to In. The first Battery audio channel always comes out from the midi channel where the Battery vst is loaded. You can group all those channels in the end by SHIFT selecting them, right click and "Group Tracks"(Live 8 only).
You can also use Midi Effect Racks and Drum Racks so you can have the name of each sample in Battery visible to the midi editor.

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:20 am

hi guys, thanks for your responses

ive got the multiple outputs setup, what i want the seperate channels is for midi editing, e.g. having a channel just for hi hats etc. so i can mix things up constantly, rather than having all the drums in one midi clip

is this possible? (sorry i'm very bad at explaining myself)

geo

Post by geo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:47 am

Create a midi channel and set the "Midi To" to the channel that holds the Battery VST. You can repeat the process for all your sounds that you want to separate. Unfortunately, Live doesn't have a function to dissolve a midi clip with multiple notes to separate clips(in case you have already midi programmed your drum pattern in one midi channel, like Cubase) so you will have to cut and paste from the main clip to the others.