is it possible to 'hold' midi cc values using sustain pedal?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Bierman

is it possible to 'hold' midi cc values using sustain pedal?

Post by Bierman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:43 pm

right this is I think an unusual problem - I'll try to be concise in explaining it.

I'm using the pressure pads on my Axiom to send midi cc instead of note on/off info. when i push down, it sends from (whichever channel, depends on which pad I press) to an fx 'buffer' channel with no output. when I take my finger off, the send drops back to zero. I then have other buttons on a trigger finger which send from the 'buffer' channel to return tracks which actually have effects on them.

advantage with this system is that I have an effects matrix - I can combine several different sources to one effects buffer and then send that buffer to a variety of effects, and also send those effects to other effects, all by pushing down and holding various pads.

the disadvantage is that it uses two hands. I want to free up one hand by using a sustain pedal to 'hold' the sends from the tracks to the buffer.

obviously the sustain pedal works by holding note on information and has nothing to do with cc's but I was wondering if bomes or midi pipe can translate this and if so how? I've just got midi pipe but i'm in over my head.

I realise the other way is to change the pads on the axiom to send note information, then the sustain pedal will come into play, but I can't figure out how to get the notes to send momentary information instead of toggle info.

can anyone help?

AudioRuso

Re: is it possible to 'hold' midi cc values using sustain pedal?

Post by AudioRuso » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:42 am

Anything is possible with midi... but it's not practical unless you're either a programmer or completely fluent with a program like midi-ox or midi translator.

tiedyetrogdor

Re: is it possible to 'hold' midi cc values using sustain pedal?

Post by tiedyetrogdor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:08 am

I have a Korg padKontrol and it has a toggle mode, both for Notes and CCs. Hit it once, 127. Hit it again, 0. That should do what you want right out of the box.

Dunno if you want to cash out for more gear, though. Just another option.