MIDI Controlling Vocoder?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
TekMonki

MIDI Controlling Vocoder?

Post by TekMonki » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:20 am

A little stumped on this one. I have an audio track that I've munged up and then stuck a vocoder on top of. You can "play" this vocoder from a MIDI keyboard, but what I thought would be the way isn't working. Any thoughts on this?

Here's how I set it up. Audio track playing audio file. Vocoder is on audio track as an effect. Added MIDI track and set MIDI output to the Audio track and it then lists the vocoder in the box below that. In theory that should do it, right?

In Cubase SX, it's similar. You set up your audio in the mixer, add the vocoder as an effect and then point a MIDI track in the sequencer to send output to the vocoder. Super simple.

What am I don't wrong?

P.s. Tried ReWiring to Cubase, but the audio render has these weird starts/stops for the Live parts . . .ones that I didn't put in there.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:40 am

Just verified and monitoring is on in Live . . .and works fine in Cubase in what seems to be the same midi-audio chain . . . maybe it's a bug?

statixz

Post by statixz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:36 am

I guess it is. I've been trying to set up a vocoder in Live 4 as well.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64102

experimedia

Post by experimedia » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:48 pm

I was just trying to get the same thing going with Vokator. I did succed useing the same method you described....if I remember correctly...(at work right now)...I had to have the chaneel armed to be able to control the Vokator effect's carrier signal with a live vocal input. I would have to be at home to see exactly how I have it set up.