Tricks with the APC40

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
D_13

Tricks with the APC40

Post by D_13 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Thought maybe people could share some of the interesting ways there using the APC40. Today I made a set that emulated the MLR program for the monome by reassigning the buttons so that the rows on the APC corresponded to the columns in the live set and using two rows to split the sample into sixteen. Then I created 16 clips each with appropriate start times and follow actions so the next one would be triggered. Works quite well except two buttons light up at once on the APC instead of one. You can reassign every button so you could have five samples going at once or if you want to split into eigths you could have ten. Sounds good improvising with melodic samples and adding in the faders, effects and what not just makes it awesome! Anyone using the APC for something really out there?

gabrielsaint

Re: Tricks with the APC40

Post by gabrielsaint » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:00 am

I've done that. It's fun. Wish I could just toggle and flip the grid sideways so I could scroll up and down through scenes.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:40 am

Monome apps are mainly what pushed me in ordering... now waiting [hope in august it'll be in my hands...wait&see] :roll:

Can't wait to turn the apc into a monome ubber Like :lol:

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 pm

What we are talking about in this post you can do without needing max or third party apps.

D_13

Post by D_13 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:48 pm

True, did however try out the MLR hack and Muon hack and its very cool but more fun to do it in Live. At the moment I've been making lots of Random triggering clips and watching the pretty lights and using random and scale midi effects on operator for some nice sine wave music. Its also mildly amusing to Create your name in clips and scroll through it, too bad you can't send messages to make the APC auto scroll yet. Going to be amazing to see what people do with Max for live

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:42 pm

D_13 wrote:True, did however try out the MLR hack and Muon hack and its very cool but more fun to do it in Live. At the moment I've been making lots of Random triggering clips and watching the pretty lights and using random and scale midi effects on operator for some nice sine wave music. Its also mildly amusing to Create your name in clips and scroll through it, too bad you can't send messages to make the APC auto scroll yet. Going to be amazing to see what people do with Max for live

You are doing this with Max? Is the software free?

D_13

Post by D_13 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeh to get the monome apps working you can use this http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/06/1 ... #more-6136 The random stuff was all in ableton using follow actions