Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
keppy

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by keppy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Ahh, yes, that did the trick. I thought i was going crazy.

Thanks again,

Jeff

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi there, I finally managed to add a super cool feature to the keyboard-shortcuts app (sorry, this is Mac OS X only):

Activate CAPS-Lock and your keyboard turns into a device controller inside Live! With CAPS-Lock activated you can navigate devices and edit parameters without holding additional modifier keys (such as ctrl, shift, etc.). Deactivate CAPS-Lock and you are back to normal. The best part: all other features (track control, etc.) are working in either mode (CAPS-Lock on or off).

To make the distinction between the MIDI Remote Script and the keyboard-shortcuts app more clear, I separated the app: it is now called Kimidi (say ['ki:mi:di] as in "Key-MIDI"), which describes very well, what it does: transform keystrokes into MIDI.

Have a look at the updated webpage:
http://stc.wiffbi.com/

For the MIDI Remote Script fans: I am working on a little addition: global clip launch quantization as well as MIDI recording quantization.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

I updated the MID Remote Script to v1.2.2:
added MIDI control of Clip Launch quantization and MIDI Recording quantization. As MIDI Recording quantization is hidden in a menu, a message is displayed in Live’s status bar, that tells which quantization step is selected. Btw. you can customize, which steps one want to be able to select via MIDI (by default it is all except the triolic ones) – settings.py for instructions.

As usual download from github:
https://github.com/wiffbi/Selected_Track_Control

Documenation is here:
http://stc.wiffbi.com/midi-implementation-chart/#global

Kimidi v1.2.2 adds keyboard shortcuts for this as well, so download the update as well if you want to control these quantizations via keyboard.

makerprofaze

Post by makerprofaze » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:50 am

Hey uh... maybe it's just me, but with v1.2.3 newly installed, I've had to 'declare' RELATIVE_TWO_COMPLIMENT for All CCs using a MIDI channel other than the default. I tested it and they all worked properly without mapping mode info when set to default channel. Not a big deal, I just had to insert the info - I don't know if it's a requirement or not.

Also, the examples in the settings.py are VERY extensive (THANKS for that!), But - one thing I don't think I see is mention of how to comment out a command. I threw away a few settins.pys until I figured out it might be that I had to include the mapping mode, but I may have also messed things up by using

#"solo_exclusive": Note(4),

instead of

# "solo_exclusive": Note(4),

Would that space actually make a difference?

[EDIT] Ok, that last statement was pretty silly. I read it then realized I should just test it myself. Everything still woked with or without the space.
*** Also, commenting out tuples seems to require each line with a # in the correct place (reset sends is good example) but it's tricky - I think my problems were becaue of that last #),
Last edited by makerprofaze on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. Actually, that should not have changed since previous versions. You could have used Python's named parameters like so:

CC(42, channel=5)

This way you do not need to add the rel2comp. I will add this to the documentation in settings.py ASAP. I do not have access to my computer in the next weeks though ... Sorry for the short answer from my smartphone.

gribouillex

Post by gribouillex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 am

Hello

I'm using Ableton live 8 (PC) with Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.
I already use Selected Track Control (http://stc.wiffbi.com/) which helps me to create my own navigation configuration.

Here is the problem :
I need a functionnality that allows me to "select" some desired scenes when hitting buttons on the controller
example : scene 5 is running and I wish to go to scene 43 (not launch it - just select it) with one assigned button.

I'm currently doing the job with scene up/scene down buttons, but it's too slow in a Live session.
If someone could help me

Thanks (and sorry for my english)
Gribouillex

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Gribouillex,

you could try CC# 9 - this is the absolute mapping for navigating scenes. The only thing is, that spreads the whole range of CCs (1 - 127) on the available scenes. So unless you have 127 scenes, you could use trial and error to find the correct value to select scene 43.

To get you started: if you have 127 scenes, then sending a value of 43 on CC 9 should select scene 43. If you have 50 scenes, then you have to send a value of 109 ( which is calculated by 127*43/50 )

I hope this gets you started. Let me know, if that works for you.

Richard

gribouillex

Post by gribouillex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello Wiffbi. Many thanks for your explanation.
I tried with 127 scenes and put a CC 9 to 43 and ... It didn't select the 43rd scene !
In fact it is inverted : 127 is the first scene, 0 is the last one. Tricky.
Finally it works great ! Thanks a lot again.

Now I wonder how to do if I have more than 127 scenes... Is it possible ?

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:05 am

Hi, great to hear, it works for you! Thanks for pointing out that the mapping is inverted. I probably did this intentionally, but don't know why. I check it when I am back home - currently on the road.

Regarding more than 127 scenes: the value range is only 0 to 127, so you can select 128 scenes maximum (sorry for mixing that up in the previous post). As the value range is evenly mapped across all scenes, if you have e.g. 200 scenes, you can select scene 200 by sending a CC value of 127. The problem is, some scenes in-between are skipped. E.g. if you have 255 scenes only every second scene can be selected this way.
Of course another problem is, that if you change the number of scenes your CC value will not match anymore.

I am thinking of adding a setting where you can specify MIDI commands to select scenes. Or maybe use pitchbend data to map to scenes? I have to see whether and how to access pitchbend data through Live's API. Pitchbend has higher resolution and would allow way more scenes. I will have a look at it when I'm back and will let you know.
Do the fcb1010 pedals can be configured to send pitchbend data?

Richard

gribouillex

Post by gribouillex » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 am

Hello

Yes I guess the FCB1010 could send anything if it's a MIDI command.

In other hand, I had an idea during last night (as it's always so) : the FCB1010 soft editor I use seems to accept 2 sends of CC values at one switch. I think that one CC 9 set to 126, cumulated with another CC 9 set to the same value would mean "select scene 2" (1+1), unless I have 256 scenes.

256 scenes would widely fit my needs. 8)

I will try that tonight.
(I think you deserve a donation, I will think about it... :mrgreen: )

Merci !

edit : and I think I will work with the maximum of scenes the range could accept (128 or 256), even if the last ones are empty. It will be easier to manage, if the number of popualted scenes increase/decrease and I will not have to change the already implemented CC9 values everytime (don't know if I'm clear).

gribouillex

Post by gribouillex » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Ouch. Cumulation of CC 9 not possible. :-( (it sends the same order twice)

... but CC 9 cumulated with CC 84 do the job !! so I can select every single scene in a range of 256 scenes.

8) 8) 8)

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah, cumulation does not work. But what a clever idea to use CC 9 to access every second scene of 256 scenes and then use CC 84 to relatively go to the next scene. Theoretically with this setup you could access 384 scenes! :) every third via absolute CC 9 and optionally CC 84 relative to select previous or next scene.

Thanks for sharing that clever idea!

gribouillex

Post by gribouillex » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am

With 384 scene I think we can only navigate through 383 of them :
To access the 384th scene we would need to add 2 x CC 84 (value 1) to the CC 9 (value 0), which is impossible (cannot accept more than 2 CC sends at one time).With 384 scenes implemented, CC 9 (value 0) should be the 382nd scene.

Thanks for information, now I will prepare 384 available scenes being sure I can access to every single one (minus one) at one switch.

Thanks a lot

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 am

thanks alot for this cool script. I've been setting it up using the softstep foot controller. for this is the pedals can be set to X or Y axis (or both). I like to use Y axis for moving through scenes and the X for moving through tracks. this works well. but you need to use absolute values for some reason to get them to respond with this setting.

I do have an issue though with the tempo control (up/down) setting. If i map rel2comp or midi notes its not a problem, but i need to use two pedals. For one pedal using the Y or X axis on the softstep I need to use absolute values. This works good with scenes and tracks, but for tempo it will only go as high as 187 and as low as 60. If i use rel2comp i can go from 0 to 999, but absolute has the 60 -187 limitation.
Wondering if this is with the script (maybe its on my end??) any help or suggestions is appreciated. Not sure if its a size limitation of absolute setting.
Regaurdless I love this script and will keep using it.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am

Hi bartend7, thanks, glad you like it.

The tempo control limit for absolute CC values is due to a CC value being limited to a range of 0 to 127. With a limit of 60 to 187 you can increment in 1 beat steps. To get a greater range, you have 2 options:

1. in the file settings.py (NOT settings.pyc) you can edit the values for "tempo_min" and "tempo_max" (found on line 120 and 121). STC will stretch the received CC value into the range between tempo_min and tempo_max – note though, that if the range is bigger than 127, then the smallest increment is bigger than 1 beat. E.g. if you set tempo_min to 0 and tempo_max to 255, then you will be able to control tempo in 2 beats steps.

2. using relative values: of course mapping relative values to a pressure sensitive pad can be "interesting", but here is an approach for you:

Use "Y Live" as Source. This encodes the pressure applied in "relative_binary_offset" - so pressing the top of the pad will send values 64-127 (the more pressure the bigger the value) and pressing the lower part of the pad will send values 62-0 (the more pressure the smaller the value). We now need to make STC understand these values. STC can be configured to interpret relative MIDI CCs encoded in "relative_binary_offset" (its default is "relative_two_compliment"), but that does not help here, because applying more pressure would not result in going one step further but jumping, as the pad does not send how much the pressure changed compared to the last time it sent a pressure value but how much pressure in total is applied to the pad.

So we have to transform the values from the pad to increments. I am not sure if this works (as I do not own a SoftStep, I am only reading the manual), but in the modulation window, we can apply some math. We need two modulations, one for increasing and one for decreasing.

Applying pressure at the top should increase tempo, so we need to transform values 64-127 to a value of 1 on CC #86:
Set sources to "Y Live", keep gain at 1, set offset to -63 and table to "Toggle". destination to CC and vel/cc to 86.

Applying pressure at the bottom should decrease tempo, so we need to transform values 62-0 to a value of 127 on CC #86:
Set sources to "Y Live", gain to -1, offset to +63 and table to "Toggle 127". destination to CC and vel/cc to 86.

I hope this helps. Although I do not know whether the SoftStep allows negative values in gain and/or in offset. Hopefully it does, because else, you are stuck with absolute MIDI CCs.