Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
IMage_Engine

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by IMage_Engine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Nice gesture!

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 am

Thanks for doing that.

thabongo

Post by thabongo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:34 am

Can one foot pedal be used dynamically to stop recording on the selected track and active/selected clip?

I am setting up my equipment and software for looping.
I would like to activate recording in different tracks+clips with a pad, but stop recording with only one foot pedal.

Could STC or any other software help me out?

Equipment
I have a Novation 61SL MK3 keyboard and a foot pedal (one pedal).
The keyboard has pads (2x8) to activate tracks and start/stop clip recording within Live.

Here is my scenario
Imagine the session view in Ableton Live with 2 tracks.

I would like to activate track 1 (Drums) and record into the first clip.
I would do this by hitting the pad on my keyboard and start playing. (could be a Launchpad)

Normally, I would have to press the same pad to stop recording the clip (during the last bar).
However, I would like to use my foot pedal to stop the recording, instead of the pad.

The reason is that my hands are often busy playing the piano or guitar etc.
Hitting the pad before the bar is finished seems difficult in many situations.
However, using my foot should help.

For the foot pedal to work, it has to adapt to whatever track/clip is active and that I am currently recording to.
This means that,
- if I activate track 1 (drums) with a pad I want to stop recording with my foot pedal
- If I activate track 2 (piano) with another pad I want to stop recording with the same foot pedal

To be clear, I want each recording to continue playing/looping after the recording has stopped.

Does anyone know a good solution?

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:20 pm

ace007 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 pm
I made some minor changes to the python scripts of Selected Track Control.
For me it works now with Live 11 and python 3.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XpC4qC ... sp=sharing
Do you know how to implement value scaling in these scripts?

I've added pickup mode for my own use and would like to complete the functionality. If there's no way that's built into the LOM, I think I know the algorithm.

I'm also working on adding the ability to open/close devices and show and hide vst windows which will round out my needs. For now.

It's a perfect project to learn Python on. I retired from 35 years programming 3 years ago and this is the first time I've touched it since. Very enjoyable!!

ace007

Post by ace007 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:35 am

The Rabbits wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:20 pm
ace007 wrote:
Do you know how to implement value scaling in these scripts?

I've added pickup mode for my own use and would like to complete the functionality. If there's no way that's built into the LOM, I think I know the algorithm.

I'm also working on adding the ability to open/close devices and show and hide vst windows which will round out my needs. For now.

It's a perfect project to learn Python on. I retired from 35 years programming 3 years ago and this is the first time I've touched it since. Very enjoyable!!
Sorry, that's beyond my knowledge. Usually I'm programming Java and C++ not knowing anything about python. Same as you I just started to learn Python to make STC work with Live 11. After reading a few pages of a python book I started to change STC and got it working.

I use STC only to control Ableton. Everthing else I do outside of ableton/python with a selfmade Midi router/translator software and the virtual midi router loopMidi from Tobias Erichsen. This works perfect for me and it's easy to change the behaviour on the fly. I don't have to change the python script and always restart ableton.
There are a lot of Midi router/translator Apps available which are very powerful.

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Sorry, that's beyond my knowledge. Usually I'm programming Java and C++ not knowing anything about python. Same as you I just started to learn Python to make STC work with Live 11. After reading a few pages of a python book I started to change STC and got it working.

I use STC only to control Ableton. Everthing else I do outside of ableton/python with a selfmade Midi router/translator software and the virtual midi router loopMidi from Tobias Erichsen. This works perfect for me and it's easy to change the behaviour on the fly. I don't have to change the python script and always restart ableton.
There are a lot of Midi router/translator Apps available which are very powerful.
Thanks for responding. I've been getting into it and the only things I'm missing now are a way to open vst windows and value scaling. It looks like the vst windows are difficult/impossible, so I'll focus on the value scaling. Tomorrow's task.

I'm wondering what the etiquette is regarding posting my modified version on the max devices site. Obviously it would be for free and I'll happily credit the original developer. If I can find them.

wolvesmusic

Post by wolvesmusic » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:31 am

Does anyone know how to make Selected_Track_Control work with Live 11?

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:05 pm

wolvesmusic wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:31 am
I went down this route recently but I haven't the time for learning python. The answer I found is a program called "control surface studio" its a simple program that creates python Scripts and installs them into your script folder, very handy, it has a selected track control for arming, muting, solo, sends and volume. This combined with another program called "keyboard maestro" and you have a perfect combination for control! yesterday I just figured out how to use a midi foot pedal to drag and drop a loop, fire the clip, clear the looper, adjust volume of track, unarm track, select next track, arm the track and record a new clip all with 1 BUTTON!!!!!! god dang wizard shit!

ace007

Post by ace007 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 pm

wolvesmusic wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:31 am
ace007 wrote:
Have you tried the modified script?

DataLife

Post by DataLife » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:16 am

STC and Kimidi are amazing. Thank you for that and the Catalina update.

bxn

Post by bxn » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right topic for my question but i noticed you were talking about python3 / ableton 11.
Since ableton 11 I noticed reloading the set doesn't refresh the script it looks like it's cached somewhere and I cannot find the fix. I don't want to consider the option of hard restarting Live .. Anyone having this issue ?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:17 am

L11 is using python 3 so older scripts need to be updated.
Ableton Forum Moderator

bxn

Post by bxn » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi jur,

Thanks for your answer but I'm quite sure it is not about python version. My script run fine under python3 (after a few tweaks). It's just that I need to close and restart live to have the python changes, instead of reopening my set (way faster). It seems like ableton is caching something.

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:41 am

As far as I can tell, Live compiles/translates your python code on startup and loads the result. When you edit your code it won't recompile it and just keeps loading the compiled code.

I tried deleting the code, but it seems to be in RAM and won't update. The best I could do was save the simplest possible default set to optimise that part of the startup.

bxn

Post by bxn » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Yeah .. that's very sad ! Yes I know that Live compiles to pyc and uses that but as you pointed out neither deleting nor manually recompiling files changes anything it seems.
You're right it must be put in ram. The thing is even with a small .als set it's still much slower to stop and restart Live.
Maybe there is a parameter somewhere to toggle ? I mean I guess the guys writing push2 remote scripts are not restarting Live that would personnally make me crazy haha. I'll try to ask maybe on the center code ..
Thanks !