Wired/Wireless/Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard on OSX MBP?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
FrigginEH

Wired/Wireless/Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard on OSX MBP?

Post by FrigginEH » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 pm

:?: So I'm using Live 8 on Mac OSX, have any of you noticed any real impact on performance or practicality from using a bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo vs.a wireless or wired one? I'm thinking of going bluetooth to free up a USB port on my 2008 15" MBP 2.2Ghz, but I'd love to know if any of you tried it and didn't like it, or have any strong opinions in this arena... I frequently use my MBP with the lid closed and plugged into an external monitor as well. If anyone has any cautionary tales or atta boy's and can enlighten, any help would be great - I'm about to blindly drop $$$ on bluetooth....

Thanks in advance for any eliminating any headaches with RMAs, etc.... :)

re.mark

Re: Wired/Wireless/Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard on OSX MBP?

Post by re.mark » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:15 pm

I had a wireless mouse for about 2 months, USB not bluetooth, but got fed up of replacing batteries in it so binned.

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:45 am

you know i have a bluetooth combo just sitting over at my mothers house not being used

i have nothing better to do tomorrow than go over there at do some tests because i want to start using it anyway

ill report back in tomorrow night

fireballgames

Post by fireballgames » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 am

off-topic, laptops vent their heat through the keyboard opening.
So even when connecting an external monitor, leave the laptop open so that the cpu can vent easily.

slirak

Post by slirak » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 am

Got the current Apple bluetooh keyboard and mouse over here and notice no impact on the system whatsoever.
Must say that using bluetooh on the Mac is a waaay more smooth experience than on the PC. One of those times where the marketing BS actually is true: it just works... :P

That the wireless "mighty mouse" is one piece of crap mouse, and would be for half its price - well that's a different story.

Anyone using a less cheap and clunky feeling bluetooth mouse with their Mac?

FrigginEH

Post by FrigginEH » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks guys! I think I was hesitant because my experiences with bluetooth and windows have been miserable! :0 I'm going for the mac bluetooth keyboard and a logitech bluetooth mouse per the general consensus so far...

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:01 pm

FrigginEH wrote:Thanks guys! I think I was hesitant because my experiences with bluetooth and windows have been miserable! :0 I'm going for the mac bluetooth keyboard and a logitech bluetooth mouse per the general consensus so far...
i have the logitech mx1000 bluetooth laser mouse, it came in a bluetooth combo that i think they discontinued, i loved it on my pc but im about to try it on my MBP, im just waiting for it to finish recharging

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 am

ok, so i just got back home to my charged logitech mx1000 bluetooth mouse

synced it up and it was laggy, very laggy

messed with settings

still laggy

did my mouse test (bejeweled blitz) and i just couldnt click where i wanted, the best description was my mouse was drunk

so, im doing some research, bbl, with more info

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:54 am

ok, havent found a working option for my bluetooth mouse, not going to use it, way to laggy, way too inaccurate, maybe try out some other ones later, but for now, sticking with the trackpad

slirak

Post by slirak » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:12 am

zalo wrote:ok, havent found a working option for my bluetooth mouse, not going to use it, way to laggy, way too inaccurate, maybe try out some other ones later, but for now, sticking with the trackpad
Yeah, I didn't get useful results with my Trust bluetooth mouse with the Mac either. (Granted, it didn't work very good with my PC either...)

No probs whatsoever with the mighty mouse though (except it's a poorly designed cheap feeling pos), so obviously, it can be done.

Mind you, there's been a couple of bluetooth updates from Apple the last couple of months and 10.5.8, released just a few hours ago, has yet another bluetooth update. Have you installed any of these?

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:46 pm

slirak wrote:
zalo wrote:ok, havent found a working option for my bluetooth mouse, not going to use it, way to laggy, way too inaccurate, maybe try out some other ones later, but for now, sticking with the trackpad
Yeah, I didn't get useful results with my Trust bluetooth mouse with the Mac either. (Granted, it didn't work very good with my PC either...)

No probs whatsoever with the mighty mouse though (except it's a poorly designed cheap feeling pos), so obviously, it can be done.

Mind you, there's been a couple of bluetooth updates from Apple the last couple of months and 10.5.8, released just a few hours ago, has yet another bluetooth update. Have you installed any of these?
just did

going to test later

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:09 am

I use a MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 w/ my MBP.

Works great w/o any problems. I've had it for almost 2 years. Batteries last for a good while. I do use rechargeable batteries so I don't have to waste money buying new ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Bluetoo ... B000TG4BA0

zalo

Post by zalo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:47 am

ok, after the update im not getting the same lagginess i was getting, no stutters or cursor jumps

but feels like there is a couple millisecond delay to it

also when going across the screen to click something i always come up like a cm short of the spot i was aiming for

ive messed around with the different mouse speeds but it doesnt seem to make a difference, the spot i was going for is always an uncomfortable cm away on the screen

back to the trackpad

oh yeah, fireball

the MBP vents from the rear, apple only warns about clamshelling the ibooks

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

lebartron

Post by lebartron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Sad to see the click+hold and zoom function on my new wireless Logitech bluetooh trackpad does not work as it does on the built-in trackpad for my macbook. Shame!

Anyone out there figure this one out? It's unusable if I can't get this to work.