Korg nanoKONTROL

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bkg2018

Re: Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by bkg2018 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Ok I found what has been wrong. Somehow, I messed up with Myralfur's scripts at first and Bank 1 had been overwritten with Bank 4 in my nanoKontrol. The most stupid thing to do, I did.

Now it's set up correcty, I can reboot and loose nothing, slider 1 moves track 1 volume, that's exactly what I need and I can forget what I want not to hear about ;-) I see my nanoKontrol with love in the eye, at last!

I still believe that it was Ableton or Korg job, to give us what the wonderful Myralfur has been kind enough to give to us. They should pay a lot of money to him for sure.

Thanks to all for sharing views and advices.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:58 pm

I've tested out some of the options available online for the nanoKONTROL and they're just too much for me. I guess I'll have to set it up myself because all I want is for the sliders in Scene One to control volumes 1-8, the buttons to control mute and arm and the knobs to control Send A on each channel THEN have it also do the same on scene 2 but for channels 9-16 and the 9th strip always control the master.
I guess I'll have to figure it out when I have the time.

QUESTION: If I have it set so that the knobs control Send A on their respective tracks and I decide to re-map a knob to something else like a knob in a macro, will it do what you'd expect and forget the mapping to the send?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 pm

dentaku wrote:I've tested out some of the options available online for the nanoKONTROL and they're just too much for me. I guess I'll have to set it up myself because all I want is for the sliders in Scene One to control volumes 1-8, the buttons to control mute and arm and the knobs to control Send A on each channel THEN have it also do the same on scene 2 but for channels 9-16 and the 9th strip always control the master.

QUESTION: If I have it set so that the knobs control Send A on their respective tracks and I decide to re-map a knob to something else like a knob in a macro, will it do what you'd expect and forget the mapping to the send?
Don't know if you tried the myralfur script but again, that is the answer and is the best solution, unless you'd like to spend weeks or months learning Python and coding your own script from scratch. The sliders already work like how you want. And if you look on myralfur's thread on here (and also on the original monome thread where he released the script) there are links to other versions of the script where the buttons are arm and mute, instead of arm and trigger which is what the latest version is. Also in that thread someone had found a relatively quick and easy solution to change the knobs from pan to send by editing the text of the script.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 am

After trying myraflur again and reading the instructions on http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/1 ... -for-live/ I can see that it's almost exactly what I wanted.
I'll see what I can do to get the pans to work as SEND A instead, but otherwise all I'm missing is SOLO. It's unfortunate that in Live the SOLO button doesn't get recorded in the automation and that there's no MUTE that keeps effects tails. Those are 2 things that I miss in Live that I'm pretty sure most other software can do.

I also remember reading about slightly different versions of myraflur that had slightly different functions the first time I tried this out so I gues it's time to go hunting for the one with SEND knobs.
delicioso wrote:
dentaku wrote:I've tested out some of the options available online for the nanoKONTROL and they're just too much for me. I guess I'll have to set it up myself because all I want is for the sliders in Scene One to control volumes 1-8, the buttons to control mute and arm and the knobs to control Send A on each channel THEN have it also do the same on scene 2 but for channels 9-16 and the 9th strip always control the master.

Don't know if you tried the myralfur script but again, that is the answer and is the best solution, unless you'd like to spend weeks or months learning Python and coding your own script from scratch. The sliders already work like how you want. And if you look on myralfur's thread on here (and also on the original monome thread where he released the script) there are links to other versions of the script where the buttons are arm and mute, instead of arm and trigger which is what the latest version is. Also in that thread someone had found a relatively quick and easy solution to change the knobs from pan to send by editing the text of the script.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 am

^^ Mute leaves effects tails alone if they are Send effects, I'm sure you already know that.. but couldn't you put a utility before the effect rack and turn the input on the utility all the way down sort of like a mute? it would stop the audio from going into the effect rack but you'd still get the tails because the output of the track isn't muted.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:30 am

Yeah, I don't use sends that much though. The other way of making effects tails stay is to use a Note Length midi effect, set it to SYNC and turn the LENGTH all the way to 0 then using the Device On/Off to make all midi notes 0 in length so the track isn't actually turned off but no notes play. It sounds like it was muted but the effects keep playing because the track is actually still ON.
outershpongolia wrote:^^ Mute leaves effects tails alone if they are Send effects, I'm sure you already know that.. but couldn't you put a utility before the effect rack and turn the input on the utility all the way down sort of like a mute? it would stop the audio from going into the effect rack but you'd still get the tails because the output of the track isn't muted.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 am

dentaku wrote:After trying myraflur again and reading the instructions on http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/1 ... -for-live/ I can see that it's almost exactly what I wanted.
I'll see what I can do to get the pans to work as SEND A instead, but otherwise all I'm missing is SOLO. It's unfortunate that in Live the SOLO button doesn't get recorded in the automation and that there's no MUTE that keeps effects tails. Those are 2 things that I miss in Live that I'm pretty sure most other software can do.

I also remember reading about slightly different versions of myraflur that had slightly different functions the first time I tried this out so I gues it's time to go hunting for the one with SEND knobs.
The top ARM buttons turn into SOLO when you hold down shift (the top far right button). As far as I know, he never made one with the knobs as send but as I said, someone in either the thread in this forum or in the monome one figured out how to change the knobs to control send instead of pan and explained how to do it more or less.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 am

delicioso wrote:
dentaku wrote:After trying myraflur again and reading the instructions on http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/1 ... -for-live/ I can see that it's almost exactly what I wanted.

The top ARM buttons turn into SOLO when you hold down shift (the top far right button). As far as I know, he never made one with the knobs as send but as I said, someone in either the thread in this forum or in the monome one figured out how to change the knobs to control send instead of pan and explained how to do it more or less.
The version I have works like this

Top Row of Buttons

The buttons on the top row turn Tracks On/Off. The Ninth Button on the row acts as a Shift and when this is held the other buttons Record Arm the tracks. They function the same as the sliders and encoders in that they map to tracks depending on the midi channel.

However, when sent on midi channel 16 the buttons select and view tracks 1 – 8 mapping the encoders above to the first device in that track.

Bottom Row of Bottons/Pads

The buttons, or pads, on the bottom row Trigger Clips. The Ninth Button on the row acts as a Shift and when this is held the other buttons Stop the relevant clips. They function the same as the sliders, encoders and top row of buttons in that they map to tracks depending on the midi channel.

However, when sent on midi channel 16 the buttons provide various functions for controlling devices.

Button 10 = Track Left

Button 11 = Track Right

Button 12 = Device Left

Button 13 = Device Right

Button 14 = Bank 1

Button 15 = Bank 2

Button 16 = Device On/Off

Button 17 = Clip View/Device View

It's been changed quite a few times I think.

pipedreams

Post by pipedreams » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:53 am

just wondering about the nanokontrols pick-up issue, does anyone think this could be solved by some sort of software similar to novations automap? just as long as it could acknowledge scene changes we could have it send midi to ableton as one big 36 knob 36 fader controller might stop live from getting confused. not sure if the scene change button sends any sort of midi or anything for the program to pick up on. just thought id put the idea out there see if its possible.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:28 pm

delicioso wrote:

I also remember reading about slightly different versions of myraflur that had slightly different functions the first time I tried this out so I guess it's time to go hunting for the one with SEND knobs.
I tried out the Sub version of myraflur and it has SOLO/CUE but it is missing the mute (track on/off) function.

I wish I knew how the Python scripts work because I'd love to add 2 SHIFTed functions to the top buttons so that you could have MUTE, SOLO and ARM all on the top buttons and still have PLAY and STOP on the bottom row of buttons. I would probably use the LOOP button as the second SHIFT. Unfortunately the Python scripts are way more complicated than the user remote scripts :)

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Just to add more to this never ending thread I found the information about changing the PAN knobs to SEND 1 on this forum with some help from a user named oddstep.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p1042408

fl0w

Post by fl0w » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:29 pm

outershpongolia wrote:other than that I hate the way it doesn't remember what's happening on other scenes. like you turn a track on with the button and then switch scenes and come back to it and your track is still armed but the light is off.
Hi,

I've bought a nanoKontrol today. I agree this problem makes the scene switch totally useless. I guess there will never be a firmware upgrade, right?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 am

fl0w wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:other than that I hate the way it doesn't remember what's happening on other scenes. like you turn a track on with the button and then switch scenes and come back to it and your track is still armed but the light is off.
Hi,

I've bought a nanoKontrol today. I agree this problem makes the scene switch totally useless. I guess there will never be a firmware upgrade, right?
I hoped for it at first but I've had that thing for a while and it haven't heard of any updates..

I've been wondering why AKAI, since they matched the nanoKEY with the LPK25 and the nanoPAD with the LPD8 (and AKAI win's with both of those IMO), hasn't come out with a better nanoKONTROL-like controller.. the LPD8 works with MIDI feedback, so I don't see why they'd leave that out in theirs.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 am

So why didnt the LPK25 come with light up keys, hmm? Missed a trick there methinks... :lol:

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 pm

The never ending thread :)

Even though I have my nanoKontrol set up how I wanted by modifying the Myr script it's still pretty useless (for me) without pickup working the way it should when you use a script. Even though it doesn't have anything to do with the functionality of the device, not remembering the state of the lights when you switch from scene to scene is still annoying and confusing too.
I'm thinking of maybe not using a script and just doing it the old fashioned way and mapping stuff manually for each project because at least that way pickup will work right.

Maybe I'll start using the nanoKontrol again.