Korg nanoKONTROL

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Toufas

Re: Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by Toufas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm

got my nanokontrol today.
how exactly do you use the myraflur script? is it similar to the nativekontrol nanolive script?
right now i am only interested in the djing aspect of live.

musiccatz

Post by musiccatz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi there,

Not sure if anyone can help, but I'm looking to use the Nano Kontrol for djing live with Live, and wondered if anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction of where I might find the best midi map set up/recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Pugface

Post by Pugface » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

dentaku wrote:I've been thinking of getting the nanoPAD for a while and just saw the Akai LPD8 yesterday and now I'm thinking I'd rather have the Akai that the Korg.
i wouldnt recommend the nano pad. Korg have a major problem with quality control with this unit. many many if not all are failing. The pads go on them. Google nanopad ... faulty .... pads. you will see some comments.
shame though as i kinda liked it when mine was working. its no good as a drum pad either. the velocity response is awful.

get the launchpad. its totally and easily the best controller for ableton with matrix pads.

midi feedback is the norm in that controller. ie. leds (same colours too!!!) in ableton light up on each pad and very fast. in fact its utterly wonderful to use. and a british quality company in novation. (made in china though lol)
see the amazing launchpad videos on you tube. you will want one. it aint expensive too. :D
If only computers switched on and behaved themselves.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Pugface wrote:get the launchpad. its totally and easily the best controller for ableton with matrix pads.

midi feedback is the norm in that controller. ie. leds (same colours too!!!) in ableton light up on each pad and very fast.
Actually Launchpad only has 3 LED colors. If you want full visual feedback with the colors and names of the clips on the controller, have look at touchAble.

Pugface

Post by Pugface » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 pm

delicioso wrote:
Pugface wrote:get the launchpad. its totally and easily the best controller for ableton with matrix pads.

midi feedback is the norm in that controller. ie. leds (same colours too!!!) in ableton light up on each pad and very fast.
Actually Launchpad only has 3 LED colors. If you want full visual feedback with the colors and names of the clips on the controller, have look at touchAble.
Ah but theres a nasty nasty nasty sting coming with this use of the iPad isnt there!!!!!!!!!
WIFI only !!!!!!!!!
oh deary me. the sting is in that requirement to use WIFI as the iPad does not have ethernet. Big big problem. WIFI cards have to be disabled in audio laptops!!! yep we have to do that dont we... to get the audio OK. Most laptops suffer from the WIFI drivers poling and hogging the communications. Making audio very unstable unless on huge latencies. so that makes the ipad a very unfriendly piece of kit for audio pc's. Macs may be different. i wonder how many people have invested in this app and an iPad only to find this out. beware! unless you can think of another way of hooking up the ipad to a pc? :D

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Pugface wrote:Ah but theres a nasty nasty nasty sting coming with this use of the iPad isnt there!!!!!!!!!
WIFI only !!!!!!!!!
oh deary me. the sting is in that requirement to use WIFI as the iPad does not have ethernet. Big big problem. WIFI cards have to be disabled in audio laptops!!! yep we have to do that dont we... to get the audio OK. Most laptops suffer from the WIFI drivers poling and hogging the communications. Making audio very unstable unless on huge latencies.
No. I don't know anyone that has to disable their WIFI for audio performance.
Pugface wrote:so that makes the ipad a very unfriendly piece of kit for audio pc's. Macs may be different. i wonder how many people have invested in this app and an iPad only to find this out. beware! unless you can think of another way of hooking up the ipad to a pc? :D
You don't have to use a regular WIFI connection. You don't even need to have WIFI connection. You can create an "ad-hoc network" that connects the laptop and the iPad directly, and even password protect it. Ad-hoc network connection is much faster and more reliable than using a regular WIFI. For even more secure wireless connection with no chance of dropping the signal, you can get Starr Labs AirPower.

Also, USB MIDI has already come to many iPad apps thanks to iOS now supporting CoreMIDI. Also, there's the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer and iConnectMIDI.

Pugface

Post by Pugface » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I am on my third Audio Laptop and all of them have required the wifi card to be disabled with at least switching it off. and after spending the last 7 years on forums such as kvr etc; it seems pretty common through out. the app site suggests wifi as the connection. which disturbed me about its reliability. yes usb is the way through and more reliable. still quite an expensive midi controller to buy when really all is required is ableton writing a configurable touch screen operational gui for live and then all the midi controllers will be replaced by a touch screen monitor with really what the ipad has been configured to do.

Animalo

Post by Animalo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm

musiccatz wrote:Hi there,

Not sure if anyone can help, but I'm looking to use the Nano Kontrol for djing live with Live, and wondered if anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction of where I might find the best midi map set up/recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/d ... eton-live/
I just googled "nanokontrol custom script ableton".
Try this template-is the best I know.It has some kind "automap" like features!