10.6 Snow Leopard Ableton Performance

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
guille

Re: 10.6 Snow Leopard Ableton Performance

Post by guille » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Pasha wrote:From this (http://www.osnews.com/story/22009/Snow_ ... by_Default) article
it seems that Snow Leopard doesn't boot in 64 bit mode by default so the performance boost should come from
grand central...

- Best
- Pasha
64-bit mode doesn't contribute to better performance normally, the reason for this mode is to address above 4GB.

But another technology of Snow Leopard is great for performance: OpenCL

But I think that OpenCL will work with future versions of Ableton Live or plugins, not now.

cids

Post by cids » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Both technologies, OpenCL and Grand Central work only if developers rewrite their apps to use these technologies... at this moment the performance benefit of Snow Leopard for Live users can only be the result of a more optimized OS, so less overhead.
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:54 am

mnmlmike wrote:Sadly I'm rocking 7 still unless anyone wants to hook up a copy of 8 ;)

I'll do Tarekiths test in the AM when I wake up.
You could just try it with the Live 8 demo download from the Ableton site... Would be nice to get some early figures... cheers...

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 am

I CANT get it to boot into 64bit. I have a 64 bit EFI and a supported MBP and it won't do it :S

Edit COCK. I found out that my mbp is revision 3.1 and the earliest revision you can do 64bit on is 4.1....even though i have a 64bit EFI

cids

What's "64-bit" on Snow Leopard?

Post by cids » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Very useful article to clear the confusion!

http://www.macworld.com/article/142379/ ... 4_bit.html
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

dru

Post by dru » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:17 am

timothyallan wrote:I CANT get it to boot into 64bit. I have a 64 bit EFI and a supported MBP and it won't do it :S

Edit COCK. I found out that my mbp is revision 3.1 and the earliest revision you can do 64bit on is 4.1....even though i have a 64bit EFI
For Real?? :| So my MBP (model before SR) even though it's 64bit C2D aswell it won't be able to run in 64bit? wtf?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 am

I reckon, mine is the first Santa Rosa revision and isn't on the supported list. Even with all the hacks out there, it still won't do it...

However, after reading all the articles on 32bit kernel vs 64, it's not suuuuch a big deal. But it's still kinda a big deal :)

dubspace

Post by dubspace » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:26 pm

I have test it Live8 on Snow Leopard (last build 10A432) on my MacbooPro 2.4 Ghz / 4Gb Ram
with The "New in Live 8 Suite Demo"Song.

Snow Leo show me the absolotely same CPU% like Loepard 10.5.8.
No differents!

(sorry for my bad english)
iMac 3.06GHz/4Gb Ram Suite9 OSX 10.8.3
www.dubspace.de

starkaudio

Post by starkaudio » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am

Based on the Perf test posted here I was going to do before/after Snow Leopard test.

Should I be using a different test?

-L

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 am

Hi everybody :) ! I'm using Live 8.0.4 on my MacBook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHZ, 2 GB RAM) and the OS is still Mac OSX Tiger (10.4.11) ... I'm thinking about passing directly to the brand new "Snow Leopard" ... Do You think it is a suitable choice, in order to get an even more affordable environment for running Live (in studio and as performance application) or should i still wait a little bit ?
Thank You ... :wink:
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

bensaddiction

Post by bensaddiction » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 am

As far as I'm aware you can't go straight from Tiger to Snow Leopard - as you have to upgrade to regular leopard first. This could be the wrong information but a friend of mine only had Tiger and wanted to upgrade to Snow, but when he asked a guy in a mac shop here in Oz he said that he would have to first buy Snow Leopard. This seems strange, but I guess its all implied in the products name - that its just improving some features of Leopard, but its only like a half version increase, rather than a fully new OS

Still myself & the aforementioned mate plus a few others are now a 'family' so that we can do a group buy to get Snow Leopard really cheap - it should arrive this afternoon. But I might just wait a bit, until more tests have been done - although I'm sure Ableton itself is probably cool, I use tons of legal/illegal plug-ins and I'm a bit worried about their stability after this upgrade, so I may just sit on my version for a while

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:23 am

bensaddiction wrote:As far as I'm aware you can't go straight from Tiger to Snow Leopard - as you have to upgrade to regular leopard first. This could be the wrong information but a friend of mine only had Tiger and wanted to upgrade to Snow, but when he asked a guy in a mac shop here in Oz he said that he would have to first buy Snow Leopard. This seems strange, but I guess its all implied in the products name - that its just improving some features of Leopard, but its only like a half version increase, rather than a fully new OS

Still myself & the aforementioned mate plus a few others are now a 'family' so that we can do a group buy to get Snow Leopard really cheap - it should arrive this afternoon. But I might just wait a bit, until more tests have been done - although I'm sure Ableton itself is probably cool, I use tons of legal/illegal plug-ins and I'm a bit worried about their stability after this upgrade, so I may just sit on my version for a while
Thank You for Your answer and Your patience :) ! Actually, the italian Apple store offers the (quite expensive) "mac box set" that allows to pass from Tiger to Snow Leopard and also contains iLife 09 and iWork 09 Sw ...But probably it would be better to wait for some additional tests on Snow Leopard ... In the meantime, what Version of Leopard (10.5.x) do You suggest in order to improve my Live's performances?
Bye
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

ekiekitabaang

Post by ekiekitabaang » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:30 am

At http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090826/ap ... rds-spots/
But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140.

KBlue

Post by KBlue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm having issues with ableton and snow leopard...
Ableton takes an age to open, about 5mins. Whilst loading the coremidi.framework folder keeps appearing in the dock then disappearing.
Anybody got any idea why this might be?