portable interface for live use question

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Sebastian

portable interface for live use question

Post by Sebastian » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi peeps

I currently trigger Sample Tank, Ableton Instruments etc via Midi Guitar and its converter which is plugged in to my laptop with USB.

I connect from laptops phone jack to PA. I get NO latency but i guess it doesnt sound as good as it could.

I believe I can get better sound if I get a real interface.

Im concerned about:

Latency
Price
Portability
Ideal if its USB or FW powered no adaptor.
Where will I plug in a Foot controller (the Roland GI20 has Midi In Out, Foot Controller input also by the way)
http://www.roland.com/products/en/GI-20/

I already own an RME for my home studio. So this purchase I would make would not be really for real recording even though I will do a bunch of on the fly loop recordings while playing live.

What do u suggest?
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

Sebastian

Re: portable interface for live use question

Post by Sebastian » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:36 pm

bump
bump
bump
bump
(I looped it) ;)

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:32 pm

Most lap tops today have actually fairly half way decent built in interfaces.... capable of doing 24 bit 96,000 recordings. The only issues that I have heard of would be with ground loop feedbacks but if you don't have that I don't think anyone including yourself would know the difference.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:29 pm

so u are saying, stick with going out from the headphone jack?

If yes, is it one of those Tip Ring cables correct?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:30 pm

my original question relates to using soft synths live. not so much recording

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:16 pm

I actually posted a similar question a while back and I got some good answers. The 2 interfaces that seemed the best for my needs (small, portable, inexpensive {since I also have a nice interface hardwired in my studio and needed this interface for live gigs as well, not so much for exceptionally high quality audio recording}, and featuring at least 2 mic inputs and at least 4 outputs so that I can set up a cue mix for my headphones in addition to having dedicated main outs).

The 2 interfaces that most people recommended were the NI Audio Kontrol and The Presonus Firebox. I ended up going with the Firebox only because it has 2 XLR mic inputs and the Audio Kontrol only has one, but aside from that it really was a toss up, both are good interfaces for their size and price range. I picked up a used Firebox on eBay for about $200, and it's worked great for me. It also has MIDI in/out, as does the Audio Kontrol if that's something you want.