Playing Time-Synced Samples In Drum Rack

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dokken

Playing Time-Synced Samples In Drum Rack

Post by dokken » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:57 pm

So here's something I'm having trouble with. I'd really like to be able to create a drum rack or some other such container for an instrument that plays back samples as if they were warped clips, i.e. time stretching. I can't seem to find a good way to do this. I could render/consolidate the clips at my current tempo then drag them in but then I'm locked into that tempo. I could assign keys on my midi controller to the clips themselves but then I can't use those keys for anything else. Intuitively, my expectation is that you would be able to create a drum rack in Live, drag a sample onto it, and adjust it's parameters just like any other clip. Instead of this though you get an instance of simpler that doesn't have those same properties. Am I missing something or is there just no way of doing this in the manner that I want with Ableton Live?

AudioRuso

Re: Playing Time-Synced Samples In Drum Rack

Post by AudioRuso » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:20 am

What you're missing is the fact that ableton's drum rack IS the same thing as ableton itself...

Here's what I mean.... if you have 16 individual tracks each one triggering a single sample... and you group them into one.... it's like having a drum rack...

just midi map your warped looping audio clip as I guess a one shot sample (just turn loop off in clip properties) and either midi map the clip... or the track's launch button (only visible in midi map mode)

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:39 pm

If you set the sample length in simpler to the minimum, switch on loop and automate the sample start time to go from 0 to 100% over say a bar (assuming your sample is one bar long) then you'll get a kind of granular timestretch.

In a drumrack you'll probably want to assign Sample Start for each of your samples to a macro knob and automate that.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:56 pm

if you have sampler you can get rough time stretching in that. Using a beatsync sawwave to modulate samplestart. Make sure retrigger is on for that lfo. Other wise you'll have to sacrifice midi notes. Maybe one channel for drums and the rest for other stuff.

dokken

Post by dokken » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:32 pm

AudioRuso wrote:What you're missing is the fact that ableton's drum rack IS the same thing as ableton itself...

Here's what I mean.... if you have 16 individual tracks each one triggering a single sample... and you group them into one.... it's like having a drum rack...

just midi map your warped looping audio clip as I guess a one shot sample (just turn loop off in clip properties) and either midi map the clip... or the track's launch button (only visible in midi map mode)
I think I understand that to a certain extent. That's why I said "I could assign keys on my midi controller to the clips themselves but then I can't use those keys for anything else." Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying it sounds like you're suggesting that I midi map my controller's keys to either the clips or the track's launch button, which would then not allow me to use those keys for anything else. The difference with a drum rack is that I can arm the track, play it with my controller, then arm a different track and use those same keys to play something else. I can also save a drum rack as a patch for later use in a different project.

It also seems difficult to modulate those clips. Say I wanted to adjust the volume envelope for all those clips. With a drum rack I could assign macro controls to adjust the release or decay time for example. I could then adjust this envelope globally for all the samples in my rack. How would I do something like that if they were all clips on separate tracks?

dokken

Post by dokken » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:46 pm

oddstep wrote:if you have sampler you can get rough time stretching in that. Using a beatsync sawwave to modulate samplestart. Make sure retrigger is on for that lfo. Other wise you'll have to sacrifice midi notes. Maybe one channel for drums and the rest for other stuff.
Yeah, I saw your post about how you used this technique in the "Time stretch in Sampler" thread. I've been meaning to try this it but it seems complicated and clunky to me. I was hoping that if I posted a similar question about time stretching in Ableton Live that wasn't specific to Sampler, but more about using a generic container like a drum rack, that someone would inform me about some magical technique that I didn't know about. I just can't believe that you can't do this without some weird hack! Thanks for sharing the info though. I guess I just need to learn this saw wave thing.