djm-800 roll effect in ableton?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
scrattyrat

djm-800 roll effect in ableton?

Post by scrattyrat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Is there a way to achieve the 'roll effect' from the djm-800 in ableton? either with native effects or plugins?

i have neen experimenting with the beat repeat effect, various plugins such as dBlue glitch, lucifer, aswell as various effects racks sucj as das mangla, rebeat etc, but all i want is something very simple that can easily achieve the same effect as the 'roll effect' on the djm-800?

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

thanks!

scrattyrat

Re: djm-800 roll effect in ableton?

Post by scrattyrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

bump

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 pm

scrattyrat wrote:Is there a way to achieve the 'roll effect' from the djm-800 in ableton? either with native effects or plugins?

i have neen experimenting with the beat repeat effect, various plugins such as dBlue glitch, lucifer, aswell as various effects racks sucj as das mangla, rebeat etc, but all i want is something very simple that can easily achieve the same effect as the 'roll effect' on the djm-800?

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

thanks!
Check out The Finger from Native Instruments. You can map as many "roll effects" with different grid sizes as you want across midi keys.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Dont do it man, that's almost as played out as the DJM500 flanger :)

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:02 pm

looper?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:25 pm

beat repeat does it all for me..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

scrattyrat

Post by scrattyrat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Cheers,

Beatrepeat and looper dont quite achieve what i want. I guess what im really after is the way the roll effect on the djm-800 will automatically start the repeat at the correct place and catch the beat right everytime, and then just 1 simple parameter to change the length of the repeat in increments.

All of the other loopers/beatrepeats etc I have tried do lots and lots of very clever things in a very complicated way, but are unable to achieve the simple beatmatched looping and ability to easily change the grid that the djm800 roll effect can.

Unless I am missing something and not using them correctly - which is probably likely and why I have come on here looking for help! :-)

any tips on how to use beatrepeat or looper in ableton to get what i described above?

thanks

drswitch

Post by drswitch » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 pm

I sure hope someone will have a good solution for this question, because it is something that i want to do for a long time now..\\
if anyone has an idea how to do this, plz reply.. TX!

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Have you tried using the Beat Repeat this way?
http://web.me.com/ticcthesoulrebel/Thom ... Video.html

It works well with my akai LPD8. It's not exactly like the djm-800 but it's fun to use.

fakemoney

Post by fakemoney » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 pm

set up a MIDI track to receive notes from your controller. put an arpeggiator on the track. I've got five black keys linked to dummy clips that select 1/16, 1/8, 1/24, etc resolution, and the white keys send notes. i use this to play drum fills live; it quantizes as you go as long as you're just a touch early on the beat. takes some practice but it's fun as hell. it might be a little trickier with audio; you'll probablt have to use the IAC bus (mac) or midi yoke or something to route note or cc data out of Ableton and back in, to a beat repeat device...it's definitely doable, if you look up phatconductor's Beat Juggler thing he explains IAC and what it can do, and it's a hell of a tool for doing impossible MIDI routing in live...pretty much everything I'm doing these days is going through IAC, dummy clips or both. they're sweeet!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:54 pm

scrattyrat wrote:Cheers,

Beatrepeat and looper dont quite achieve what i want. I guess what im really after is the way the roll effect on the djm-800 will automatically start the repeat at the correct place and catch the beat right everytime, and then just 1 simple parameter to change the length of the repeat in increments.

All of the other loopers/beatrepeats etc I have tried do lots and lots of very clever things in a very complicated way, but are unable to achieve the simple beatmatched looping and ability to easily change the grid that the djm800 roll effect can.

Unless I am missing something and not using them correctly - which is probably likely and why I have come on here looking for help! :-)

any tips on how to use beatrepeat or looper in ableton to get what i described above?

thanks

put a beat repeat, turn "chance" to zero, map it to a button. with the button, you turn chance to 100%, and it loops nicely beat matched. map a knob to "grid", and slowly turn it to the left to reduce the loop size.

works all beatmatched, and you have the option to have no triplets to just change the loop size by /2 and *2.

i personally have it mapped both to a fader, so if the fader is down, beat repeat is turned off. if i put it up, it gets enabled and the further i put it up, the smaller the grid gets. perfect for beat matched frequency-rising repeats for some buildup.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm

You know, I usually mapped Repeat to a button to turn it on and off but mapping the Chance instead is quite useful because it does it in a more controlled/quantized way. If you set the Interval and Gate to the same amount at something like 1/4 and 4/16 for example it works very well.
davepermen wrote:
scrattyrat wrote:Cheers,

thanks

put a beat repeat, turn "chance" to zero, map it to a button. with the button, you turn chance to 100%, and it loops nicely beat matched. map a knob to "grid", and slowly turn it to the left to reduce the loop size.

works all beatmatched, and you have the option to have no triplets to just change the loop size by /2 and *2.

i personally have it mapped both to a fader, so if the fader is down, beat repeat is turned off. if i put it up, it gets enabled and the further i put it up, the smaller the grid gets. perfect for beat matched frequency-rising repeats for some buildup.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:24 pm

jup. mapping repeat == instant madness. mapping chance == beatmatched madness :)

balance_productions

Post by balance_productions » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:04 am

:| I was messing with a djm 800 at guitar center and the roll feature was amazing! I totally feel with the author, I wish there was a simple hardware controller for this without shelling out hundreds of dollars. I just want to trip up my beats and riffs without having to midi map and take up half the buttons on my controller. And I always feel like beat repeat is to complex a substitute for something as simple the djm was doing... I was in heaven until I looked at the price. All i was using was the roll... It was great, simple, i knew what I was going to hear when I pressed the button... :cry:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:03 am

The solution is setting Chance to 0%, but instead of mapping chance, map the "Repeat" button.