loudness

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
josephjobling

Re: loudness

Post by josephjobling » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:14 am

josephjobling wrote:
H20nly wrote:
josephjobling wrote:Just a thought but the way the pro's do it is the don't export the file - get your self a cd recorder and send your audio to that and record it - i think this is better than rendering/exporting you can set the levels that way.

Connect your audio out to the input of a cd recorder and record it.
hmmmm.

Do you mean like a component CD burner?

Does that give a boost.. or rather, let you amp up your volume to create a 'louder' recording?
yep you can boost it to a good loud volume and get quality sounding recording - i don't do it yet but its preferable to rendering an audio file.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:41 am

wild. I would have never thought of that. for some reason I get a vision of people at Sony, Columbia, Virgin, BMG etc. laughing at us because this has been the secret all along... :wink: nice dude. sounds like its worth a shot.

I bet you can pick up a component burner pretty cheap nowadays too...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

josephjobling

Post by josephjobling » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 am

H20nly wrote:wild. I would have never thought of that. for some reason I get a vision of people at Sony, Columbia, Virgin, BMG etc. laughing at us because this has been the secret all along... :wink: nice dude. sounds like its worth a shot.

I bet you can pick up a component burner pretty cheap nowadays too...
yea from about £200 up to silly money :)

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Depends if you want it to be loud or sound good? It's your choice. Personally I go for punch and clarity. Certain sounds need their transients intact so that we recognise the sound. There should still be a decent dynamic range to give the track some life.

I'm guessing you want it to sound big not professional. If it was a case of just limiting a track to increase the RMS then Bob Katz would be out of a job. The process is bigger than you can manage and does require a certain grade of equipment (normally reasonably expensive, a good listening enviroment and a lot of experience.

If you want it bigger read up on compression and limiting. If you want it to sound professional there are a lot of amateurs doing a pretty good job for a slice of the cost of a pro. Tarakeith and Deniz Koyu for starters. Concentrate on mixing it properly.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Sorry dude spelt your name wrong.

Tarekith

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks, though I (humbly) wouldn't consider myself an amateur.
:wink:

LithiuMind

Post by LithiuMind » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Read what Tareketh says. This guy is smart.

josephjobling

Post by josephjobling » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:06 pm

read - yep makes sense - i don't master and the accoustics in my room/space are sh1t - i use headphones - what would your advice be about ixing with cans and not moniters.

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:30 am

Sorry Tarekith :oops: . I made you sound like a hobbyist. I mean professionals on different levels.

You can pay top whack for the most recognised pre-mastering studio engineers, but you don't have to when there are people out there like you. :D

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 am

josephjobling wrote:read - yep makes sense - i don't master and the accoustics in my room/space are sh1t - i use headphones - what would your advice be about ixing with cans and not moniters.
Good idea as long as you know your headphones. It it is diffucult to mix the sub bass or at least know what info is going on down there as with headphones you don't feel, you hear and be carefull with the stereo field. Otherwise I often go to the cans to check mixes out in detail. Be carefull with the volume of your headphones too.

DjDiabolik

Post by DjDiabolik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 am

I've noticed beyond good mastering/finalizing , the new way to win the loudness war is to take your final track and boost it into clipping range. Supposedly a little clipping sounds fine with certain tracks (this is probably what re-recording to CD recorder will do as well).

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this though.