Need Serious help with Getting that Analog Sound

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
boddhisattva007

Need Serious help with Getting that Analog Sound

Post by boddhisattva007 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:18 am

Ok, here goes...
I have a macbook pro and am using Live 8, Logic 8, and Reason 4
I have two audio interfaces an older focusrite Saffire (the white stand-up version) and a novation nio 2/4

I want to inject some analog-ness into my drums, synths, and productions in general and am looking at two cheap mic pre-amps that have xlr and 1/4' inputs and outputs...
how do I do this?
I don't have any outboard gear, everything (my synths and drums, etc..) are coming from the computer (most likely Live specifically).
So I would have to send the audio from my computer (in Live 8 ) to one of these interfaces, then to the mic-pre amps, and then finally back into the computer (again in Live 8 ) to be recorded as audio....

Anyone can help me with this, I really don't want to have to buy anymore gear (aside from the mic-pre's that is).

My initial idea is to run the stereo audio out through the novation nio using the rca phono outputs and then using an stereo rca to 1/4' monster cable adapter to bring the audio into the mic-pre amp. Then from the mic-pre amp I would run it via the 1/4' output to the focusrite saffire 1/4' line-in... Would this configuration work and if so, would I experience any loss in audio quality?
Or am I going about this the wrong way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
B

evolwizard

Re: Need Serious help with Getting that Analog Sound

Post by evolwizard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 am

This reminds me of this one time I farted into a cup and then held it to my nose to see what farts really smelled like. weird.
...to the prelevator....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
=======================================================
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II
Ableton Live 7 Suite Boxed-Reason 4

boddhisattva007

Post by boddhisattva007 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:38 am

... you sniff your own farts...thanks for the help...
I have read that many producers do this to add warm tube distortion to their drums and or synths... I was just wondering if the method I have described above would work or would is there a better way to go about incorporating a pre-amp

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:24 am

seems like a bit of overkill. I would suspect that unless you're pushing the tracks really hot through your outboard gear that you wouldn't notice a difference. Are there tubes in the Focusrite or Novation? Perhaps if you were driving tubes you could get a bit of warmth.

Have you tried playing with Compression, Saturator, Good EQs or Reverb plugins?

boddhisattva007

Re: Need help with mic-pre amps

Post by boddhisattva007 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:38 am

No, Neither have tubes (though the focusrite has a great mic-pre... but's it's not an actual tube).

It's just all in a quest to get warmer sounds. I have read about many producers who swear by putting their sounds through an external mic-pre to warm up the sound and make it bigger. Plus I would just like to experiment with out-board stuff as quite frankly, I'm getting rather bored with doing everything "in the box"

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:10 am

I say give it a try and see if you like the result. Pristine sound quality isn't everything, so just chain stuff together and go for it if that's what it takes to get the sound you want.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 am

Have you tried vintage warmer from PSP Audio, might be worth trying the demo.