Start clip on first midi note? Is there a way?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ywagle

Start clip on first midi note? Is there a way?

Post by ywagle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi,

I am new to ableton and have a couple questions. Is there any way to have a session view midi clip just start on the first note automatically? As of now what I have been doing is starting the clip recording, waiting 4 bars then starting to play my midi (drums in this case). I do this instead of a count in because sometimes I lose the first note if it's slightly before the first beat.

So what I do after recording is I change the loop start point. I can get it to snap to the first note when I move the start point (if I zoom in), but I was wondering if there was an easier way. 2nd question is, is there a way to shut off all snapping EXCEPT snapping to the midi notes? This might make things easier as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

sanfoin

Re: Start clip on first midi note? Is there a way?

Post by sanfoin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 pm

I do what you do because it's still rather easy. But there's a way to do it otherwise.

Try recording with a count-in. From the "Record Warp Launch" tab in Preferences select 1 2 or 4 bars. Live won't start recording until it has counted off. If you first arm your clip, then get ready, you can hit that first note on the first beat that way . . .

ywagle

Post by ywagle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:51 pm

sanfoin wrote:I do what you do because it's still rather easy. But there's a way to do it otherwise.

Try recording with a count-in. From the "Record Warp Launch" tab in Preferences select 1 2 or 4 bars. Live won't start recording until it has counted off. If you first arm your clip, then get ready, you can hit that first note on the first beat that way . . .
Hi, thanks for the reply. In the case where I use a count off, if my first note is a split second before the actual fist beat (a kick drum for example), it gets cut off. This is why I have been leaving 4 beats empty at the start of the clip and then adjusting the start/end points. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to align the start of the clip to the first midi note. As it is now, I need to do some zooming when the note is only slightly off. I am also trying to avoid quantizing anything.

Thanks!

DrawnFromLife

Post by DrawnFromLife » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Wow, is there really no way to do this? I thought there must be a way to start your recorded clip at the first midi note somehow :(