Synthesizer Cookbook - Operator Translation

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
aeon_flux

Re: Synthesizer Cookbook - Operator Translation

Post by aeon_flux » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:43 pm

hwelsh wrote:Anybody know any good tutorials on using ANALOG?
look in for subtractive synthesis tutorials. analog simulates oldskool analog synthesizers.

hwelsh

Post by hwelsh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 pm

thanks a lot, am doing this now.

if anybody is into subtractive synthesis and wants me to post anymore patches from this cookbook I'll do it gladly, so long as you let us know any cool changes you make to it!

thanks a lot guys

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:23 am

Everything is pretty straight forward in the recipe, except for A S D R, which only references your envolope values at the Attack, Sustain, Decay, Release stages. As I understand subtractive sysnthesis, it is filtering out certain bands to create new sounds. This should be able to be done with operator, just concentrate on its filter/lfo sections. Sorry cant be more help, I use 7 SUITE, so my fix is use Analog.

triss

Post by triss » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:10 am

hwelsh wrote:thanks a lot, am doing this now.

if anybody is into subtractive synthesis and wants me to post anymore patches from this cookbook I'll do it gladly, so long as you let us know any cool changes you make to it!

thanks a lot guys
would be marvelous if you could post a few more. i'm feeling scatty this morning. did you sort out what the percentages meant in the end?

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:30 am

Howdy y'all. Here's a tutorial for the Fred Welsh book and Analog.

http://aempass.blogspot.com/2014/09/ana ... kbook.html

Feedback is appreciated :)

Ronin1973

Post by Ronin1973 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:34 pm

There are a lot of free VSTs out there. Find a simple, free VST, that's a model of a basic subtractive analog synth: one or two basic oscillators (sine, saw, triangle, noise, etc.) and one or two filters. The filters and the oscillators should be able to receive modulation from an envelope or LFO.

Starting out with something like this will give you a feel of what you're adjusting. There are tons of tutorials on Youtube. Watching them will really help a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-3OfSWXNk

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 pm

I've just got hold of Mitchell Sigman's Steal This Sound which is a compilation of all of his columns for Keyboard magazine in which he described how to recreate sounds used in well-known recordings such as the bass line in Lady Gaga's Poker Face, The Who's Baba O'Riley, Vangelis's Blade Runner, and Delia Derbyshire's Doctor Who theme music.

Looking forward to playing around with them using Analog and some plug-in VSTis like TAL Noisemaker and Zebra.
Garry Knight