Making Acoustic Guitar sound like Electric Guitar

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Aequitas123

Making Acoustic Guitar sound like Electric Guitar

Post by Aequitas123 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Looking to get an electric guitar soon, but in the mean time, does anyone have any tips for making an acoustic guitar sound like an electric guitar; clean or distorted.

I normally record it with a sm57 and/or a Condenser ran through my pre's. Sounds pretty good for an acoustic. I've been playing around with running it through Amplitube with mix results.

Any tips appreciated.

mesaboogiewes

Re: Making Acoustic Guitar sound like Electric Guitar

Post by mesaboogiewes » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:00 am

You might could get a somewhat usable distorted guitar sound if you eq'd and compressed it just right, but as far as a night broken up clean sounding electric - no can do on an acoustic IMO.
2.16 Ghz MacBook, M-Audio Firewire 410, Live 6, Sampler, Reason 4, BFD, Melodyne cre8, M-Audio O2, Micro Korg

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 am

Using just Live effects, start with the saturator and pick a hard sine shape with lots of drive.
You can follow with another saturator using the wave shaper option and play with the shape.
Then use a dynamic tube effect to simulate the cabinet.

The new Overdrive effect in Live 8 could also help and maybe even the MultiBand dynamics, but the saturator is essential to get the distortion needed for the electric guitar.

I usually add a phasor and flanger and/or chorus, but the sound can get muddy real fast if you stack on too many effects.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 am

EQ! Electric guitars have less low frequencys if you compare with acoustic guitars.

You could use Eq3 and turn off low and high frequencies. Then add some distortion or saturator.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:29 am

How about using a transient designer to scuplt the attack?

Flux 'Bitter-sweet' is free though slightly limited:

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey guys, appreciating the comments. I have played around with saturators with decent results.

I could use some more information on EQing the input signal to get it sounding more like an electric guitar DI. I assume taking of some low and and possibly carving off some really high frequencies.