launchpad advert - how is it done?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
franksterling

launchpad advert - how is it done?

Post by franksterling » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 pm

hi!
could anyone tell me how the launchpad controls live in the advert?
does it trigger drum racks? how does live change the sounds (obviously different mapped samples but how does live know when to transpose).
i have no idea how this is realised.

AudioRuso

Re: launchpad advert - how is it done?

Post by AudioRuso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 pm

I think it's a little easier maybe...

I could see it being done with an instrument rack containing several drum racks on different chains. Then having several clips with different drum patterns triggering the different chains... all the launch pad has to do is simply trigger the different clips.

franksterling

Post by franksterling » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:43 pm

hmm yeah you are probably right.
it just really looks as if the beats are programmed while live is playing including the "program changes" when it switches to another set of samples

emef

Post by emef » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:21 pm

i read on another site that the launchpad will come with a bundled/downloadable max4live step sequencer
mebbe they're using that in the video

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 pm

"Matt Derbyshire of Novation put together the video. Matt’s an interesting guy musically when not working for Novation, too – he’s part of a DJ Shadow cover band, for one. He shares with CDM how he went about this:

It’s actually a very simple session.

1) There are four clips only for drums in the drumrack channel

2) Each clip is pre-recorded but EMPTY at 1 bar length

3) These four clips are the first four clips in session mode but for convenience I also learned these to to User 1 mode bottom four left buttons. Basically setting this up removes the need to rush back to session mode to drop out of record

4) Obviously quantize is on ‘cos my playing ain’t that great."

hyena

Post by hyena » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 pm

yah, so OVR is on, he inputs some notes to the empty drum rack clip and that goes on playn'... a bit tricky but nice and obviously gave the ad that kind of liveperformancemagictrick feel....

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 pm

delicioso wrote:"Matt Derbyshire of Novation put together the video. Matt’s an interesting guy musically when not working for Novation, too – he’s part of a DJ Shadow cover band, for one. He shares with CDM how he went about this:

It’s actually a very simple session.

1) There are four clips only for drums in the drumrack channel

2) Each clip is pre-recorded but EMPTY at 1 bar length

3) These four clips are the first four clips in session mode but for convenience I also learned these to to User 1 mode bottom four left buttons. Basically setting this up removes the need to rush back to session mode to drop out of record

4) Obviously quantize is on ‘cos my playing ain’t that great."
Yeah, that's how it's done. You may need to 2 tracks for every instrument. One for recieveing MIDI and one for sending MIDI back to the pads.

An video a did using that set up with an APC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOZy21og0k

WFTD

Post by WFTD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Guys…this absolutely rocks!! I am so getting one or 6…whatever……the Promo Video on this is awesome and after watching it a couple of times, I thought this is what is happening…..so glad it is confirmed…..roll on 2nd November!! Unless I manage to get one before……mmmwwwwhahahahahaha

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:50 pm

@gabrielsaint_ you said you didn't use the monomulator... I've read MTplayer but haven't found anything relevant about.

Could you tell a bit more please.

Very impressive

I like the solo line for counting steps and more... never understood how to proceed_ Though I'm far from a max/msp pro here :lol:

thanks