Any form of Bus Channels?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
pathosmusic

Any form of Bus Channels?

Post by pathosmusic » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:17 pm

What Im trying to do in short, is fade out a group of tracks at the same time using 1 track, rather than automating volume for 10 tracks or so at once.

If i create a send / return the problem im facing is that the audio is still playing through the original tracks and the return track.

Is there a way to accomplish this that I can't seem to figure out at the moment?

davepermen

Re: Any form of Bus Channels?

Post by davepermen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:49 pm

mark the tracks you want as a group, rightclick the title and chose "group". then, fade on the group-master.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Shephurd

Post by Shephurd » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:59 am

aand if u dont want them grouped, send to a return track? works fo me

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:21 am

pathosmusic wrote:If i create a send / return the problem im facing is that the audio is still playing through the original tracks and the return track.
Off to the right of the GUI aligned with each send is a Pre/Post toggle button. I think if you select Pre for the send you will only hear one signal instead of the doubled single.

allanaceflyer

Post by allanaceflyer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:26 am

Set audio track to audio to sends only.I use 8 return tracks mapped sl zero[last 8 tracks]then mix the sub mixs.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 pm

davepermen wrote:mark the tracks you want as a group, rightclick the title and chose "group". then, fade on the group-master.
Live 8 only.

You could Inset a new audio track, Set its input to none. The activate "IN" on it.
Then route the output of all the tracks you need to to said track.
Thus bussing the audio via this Track. Where you can automate volume/apply effects to all etcetcetc.

keyboardcowb0y

Post by keyboardcowb0y » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 pm

re.mark wrote:
davepermen wrote:mark the tracks you want as a group, rightclick the title and chose "group". then, fade on the group-master.
Live 8 only.

You could Inset a new audio track, Set its input to none. The activate "IN" on it.
Then route the output of all the tracks you need to to said track.
Thus bussing the audio via this Track. Where you can automate volume/apply effects to all etcetcetc.
This is the technique I use and just discussed in another thread here about how Deadmau5 has his set setup. It's just personal preference but I prefer this over using send/returns. And as mentioned earlier, grouping tracks is only available in live 8, so its better to use something more universal.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 pm

keyboardcowb0y wrote:This is the technique I use and just discussed in another thread here about how Deadmau5 has his set setup. It's just personal preference but I prefer this over using send/returns. And as mentioned earlier, grouping tracks is only available in live 8, so its better to use something more universal.
I dont ignore Send/Returns as theyre the most logical (imo) option for Reverbs/Delays etc. Much prefer sending various channels (in addition to their master output) to a Reverb on a Return. But Routing audio is so powerful/handy and if uve got alot of stems then it makes sense to still all your final Retun Busses (Vox, Synths, Bass, Percussion) in one section all next to each other for easier mixing rather than having to scroll everywhere. :)

pathosmusic

Post by pathosmusic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:16 pm

I really appreciate the help.. Ive gone ahead and used the Group function since i am running live 8.

It really helps alot, thanks.

1 other thing that I have noticed to be a little annoying is when you automate ANY volume on a track (whether its group or not) you can't change the overall level of the track after you have written automation and keep the automation.

Is there something else Im missing here? For now i have had to go in and adjust the envelopes manually, but there has to be a quicker way around that right?

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Try using a "utility" plug on the group master.

You can adjust the gain and still retain relative automation.

Z.

fl1p

Post by fl1p » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:Try using a "utility" plug on the group master.

You can adjust the gain and still retain relative automation.

Z.
ahh nice, good idea..
but wouldn't it be better to do the automation with the utility so you can use the track volumes when mixing the track?

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:48 pm

^^^

Nice one!

Never thought of that method.

Works both ways but I can see an advantage here. :wink:

Z.

DaWrecked1

Post by DaWrecked1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Problem with using the group function for bussing is that you can't have groups within groups. That's a serious flaw. None of the tracks within a group, as of Ableton Live 9, can be group tracks....it won't let you.

Everyone I know either uses the sends to bus tracks or they create a empty audio track and route tracks to it. Personally I use the audio tracks method. I don't like using the sends for bussing.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:52 pm

DaWrecked1 wrote:create a empty audio track and route tracks to it. Personally I use the audio tracks method.
I think that is the most natural option, except if the grouped parent makes more sense. I use colors to indicate buss tracks.
Make some music!