Ableton Tutorials

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
wb

Ableton Tutorials

Post by wb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 am

Hi,

I'm new to Ableton, and electronic music production.

I'm just messing about for the moment.

Are there any alternatives to sonicacademy.com ? It's $100, which to me is a little much.

I've looked about youtube but I really like sonicacademy's vid on french electro and provide samples.

I want to make Justice/Daft punk stuff.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

moondancer

Re: Ableton Tutorials

Post by moondancer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 am

Paying for learning very simple software?
Watch movies on youtube, vimeo, read the forums etc.
If you buy a box wersion you have manual.
Only you can learn everything you want, someone can teach you saome trics, but not how to make Daft Punk like music :)
You must only know what to search in web.
Peace :)
Software: Ableton Live 8, Absynth 4, Pro 53, V-Station, Bass Station, Zebra 2, AudioRealism BassLine 2
Hardware: MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, Launchpad, ZeRO SL MK II, CME M-Key, Lexicon Alpha, SAMSON MediaOne 4A

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:35 am

It's good to have influences. But don't try and sound like them. Just dig them. As for tutorials I would check out Nicks Tutorials! Very well thought out and inexpensive. I have been making music for years and I still found his videos informative and inspiring.
Check it out!
http://nickstutorials.com/

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 am

hi

Groove 3 has some pretty good prices

click the link in my sig!

cheers

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

I tried the Groove3 DJ tutorial and I wasn’t that impressed with it to be honest. It doesn’t go that deep and really doesn’t help you in creating music. It's more for the some one who is looking to just DJ with Live. I will say that folks at Groove3 are very, very cool. After I had checked out the tutorial, I wrote them to let them know that I wasn’t happy with the product and they gave me my money back. Incredible! I hadn’t asked for it. So I have to give them props for that. Now I can’t speak for their other tutorials, but I will check them out when I get my pro-tools rig up and running!

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 am

Joshua Boden wrote:I tried the Groove3 DJ tutorial and I wasn’t that impressed with it to be honest. It doesn’t go that deep and really doesn’t help you in creating music. It's more for the some one who is looking to just DJ with Live. I will say that folks at Groove3 are very, very cool. After I had checked out the tutorial, I wrote them to let them know that I wasn’t happy with the product and they gave me my money back. Incredible! I hadn’t asked for it. So I have to give them props for that. Now I can’t speak for their other tutorials, but I will check them out when I get my pro-tools rig up and running!
didn't they also tell you that there are another 4 products? 3 that I made on Live and another one by Timothy Allan from this forum on making house music with Live.

http://www.groove3.com/str/ableton-live-training/

I'd be interested to hear if you have any other points though as I made them and I'm always keen to hear feedback - PM me if you'd like

but it sounds like you just bought the wrong one for what you're after

as far as that DJ title goes - that one's just "part 1" and it is aimed at people who just got Live - specifically to DJ - there's some more advanced stuff on the way

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:11 am

I ment no ill will. I was looing for more of an advanced look at Live as a DJ application. A deeper look at warping full tracks. I have yet to see any one really takle the issue of warping non-electronic tracks, Jazz, funk, R&B, hiphop and the like. Thats what I was hopeing for. Been working with Live since Version 4, but just now wanting to take the act to the club. But I dont spin straight dance tracks, some minimal house, breaks and DnB, but also a lot of Dub, Roots, and funk. Not as easy to warp that stuff ya know?
Anyway, sorry if I offended. Was totally not my intention. Your presentaion in the tutorial was spot on. But just as you said, not what I was looking for. Now if you have any advice as far was the things I mentioned above I am all ears!
Cheers!

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:28 am

Joshua Boden wrote:I ment no ill will. I was looing for more of an advanced look at Live as a DJ application. A deeper look at warping full tracks. I have yet to see any one really takle the issue of warping non-electronic tracks, Jazz, funk, R&B, hiphop and the like. Thats what I was hopeing for. Been working with Live since Version 4, but just now wanting to take the act to the club. But I dont spin straight dance tracks, some minimal house, breaks and DnB, but also a lot of Dub, Roots, and funk. Not as easy to warp that stuff ya know?
Anyway, sorry if I offended. Was totally not my intention. Your presentaion in the tutorial was spot on. But just as you said, not what I was looking for. Now if you have any advice as far was the things I mentioned above I am all ears!
Cheers!
no man I don't take offense at all - I just want to make sure I know what the reasons are

that series is very much a beginner one - I meet DJs all the time who are interested in Ableton because they've heard of it and don't have the faintest idea where to start - that title is basically aimed at them, and it is also vol 1, there will be several to follow - in fact I'm more or less sticking to DJ stuff for the next few titles, so there will be a few volumes

as for warping unquantized tracks etc - I actually tried to cover that in the series using the drum kit - I know that Live's detection is not always that spot on, but I've found since Live 8 what I did in that tutorial works in a surprising number of cases. To be honest I dont warp a lot of more tricky stuff like Jazz, (although I was having a go at Tito Puente the other night - and yeah, it was a challenge! ) but now that you mention it I'll take that on board and maybe try and find some better examples for Volume 2. Copyright can be a bit restrictive for us because we can't just use anything, and I am into electronic music so all my examples are quantised. I'll see if the guys can track down some Jazz/funk we can use

but ultimately the same still applies - warping complex stuff takes a while for sure - but you only have to do it once! you really need to break it down to 1 - 2 bar chunks and just get it right a bar at a time- there really isn't any other way

but the whole technique of finding the first major beat and choosing "set 1.1.1 here" then "warp from here" works in a surprising number of cases. I have warped James Brown tracks that way, and other old stuff - Live 8 can get it close, but you still need to tweak it

thanks for your feedback, I'll definitely take it on board

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 am

Cheers! Keep me posted.