Cool sounds after hitting Stop - know how to use in-song?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
yleh8k

Cool sounds after hitting Stop - know how to use in-song?

Post by yleh8k » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi. I hope someone with more experience can help me out with this.

I'm using one of the guitar presets in Live 8. When I play the song in Live, then hit stop, the guitar sound keeps going for a few seconds in a really cool bit of feedback. Problem is, I can't get that sound to occur within the song! I tried various ways of manipulating the notes and parameters but can't quite get it. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Aequitas123

Re: Cool sounds after hitting Stop - know how to use in-song?

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:29 pm

its probably the tail of a compressor, delay or reverb or a combination that you're hearing.

photonal

Post by photonal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 pm

you on a mac?

there's a utility called 'Audio Hijack' which can grab that kind of stuff or nice audio errors etc from an active software process.

and then just drag the hijacked (saved) audio file back into live for further processing etc.

JEB

Post by JEB » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:13 pm

i'd try recording it in session view, hit stop where you want, set up a track to record the output of the track you like w/ monitoring off, then arm that new track and go to arrange view and record PAST where you hit stop and see if that works.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:31 pm

coincidently i noticed the same thing today, and thought, fuck thats the best bit of the tune.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Maybe I'm wrong here, but at the end of a lot my tracks I hear the reverb/delay etc. continue to bleed once the music stops. The catch is that the end markers have to allow for it. So if I don't stop a track dead on the last note I let it play on for a few seconds with no additional input... just blank space... then I hear the tails.

Maybe I'm pissing the point. Where in your track are you trying to accomplish this?

edit: I re-read your post... if you go into arrange view with a copy of your clip, paste it in its own track and then move the loop marker to include some "silence" or rather blank space, won't you get what you need?

so you want |xxxx_| or |xxxx__| instead of |xxxx|

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 am

Take the audio output of Ableton and use Soundflower to route the output into a wave editor that is set to record. Audacity should do, it's free.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:43 am

if you were to find which effects were being tailed after hitting stop (compression, reverb, delay...etc) you could try running them in serial and at 100%.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:41 am

delay/reverb tails are the best thing for dropping back to the main groove after an intense build up..

You get shit goin, layer loops, make it intense, add some delay on your lead and then when you drop back to the A part of the song you get the tails from your build up that bleed over into the next pattern, instant transitions.

boomstix

Post by boomstix » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:00 am

H20nly wrote:Maybe I'm wrong here, but at the end of a lot my tracks I hear the reverb/delay etc. continue to bleed once the music stops. The catch is that the end markers have to allow for it. So if I don't stop a track dead on the last note I let it play on for a few seconds with no additional input... just blank space... then I hear the tails.

Maybe I'm pissing the point. Where in your track are you trying to accomplish this?

edit: I re-read your post... if you go into arrange view with a copy of your clip, paste it in its own track and then move the loop marker to include some "silence" or rather blank space, won't you get what you need?

so you want |xxxx_| or |xxxx__| instead of |xxxx|
great answer, should work fine

yleh8k

Post by yleh8k » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:46 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I was able to get a pretty similar effect by bumping up the release, intensity, and a few other things to max for the last note and the space thereafter.

Using Audacity to record the sounds, or maybe the other strategies mentioned would've gotten the exact sound, though.

Just for clarity, I was using the arrangement view, and I wanted the effect to happen at the end. I did leave some open space after the last clip but that alone didn't work. And the effect would occur no matter when in the track I hit Stop, as long as the midi guitar track was in use.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
It's leisure to start songs; it's labour to finish them.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Si this is midi and not you recording into an audio track?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but for midi it works well to add a Note Length plugin and set it to Sync instead of Time and set the length to 0 then you can turn the plug-in on and off and it acts just like Mute EXCEPT it doesn't cut off effect tails.
yleh8k wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

I was able to get a pretty similar effect by bumping up the release, intensity, and a few other things to max for the last note and the space thereafter.

Using Audacity to record the sounds, or maybe the other strategies mentioned would've gotten the exact sound, though.

Just for clarity, I was using the arrangement view, and I wanted the effect to happen at the end. I did leave some open space after the last clip but that alone didn't work. And the effect would occur no matter when in the track I hit Stop, as long as the midi guitar track was in use.

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:39 pm

slaykent wrote:Take the audio output of Ableton and use Soundflower to route the output into a wave editor that is set to record. Audacity should do, it's free.
^+1
Soundflower is free too, not to mention being fun/useful for things other than recording glitches or randomness. I often use it to preview sampling material: eg. iTunes out, ableton ext in track, effects for vocal removal, whatever