im about to use ableton for the first time

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bedroomDJ

im about to use ableton for the first time

Post by bedroomDJ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 am

so i just got it installed ne tips or things i could try doing?

yur2die4

Re: im about to use ableton for the first time

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:52 am

drag some of your favorite songs into there. and then add fx to them :D

anachroschism

Post by anachroschism » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 am

do the installed lessons, theyre pretty good. After that, try and build some drum loops.

Then warp some songs and play em alongside your new loops, go from there.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:25 am

you should start with demo song and try to catch sesion view philosophy of clips. try to play with effects. try to play with instruments.

Slapdash

Post by Slapdash » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Youtube is your friend. Loads of great tutorials on there. Also, some of the ableton specials released by magazine publishers are good.
soundcloud.com/slapdash

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:45 pm

well im quite confused about the session/arrangment views utility. i tried sampling some horns from a jazz song and some drums from dj premier beats into impulse. i got to the point where i needed to record in session view and even with the metranome on and my loop set to one measure i couldnt get a clean 2/4 beat. also all my keys were different than when i origonally recorded them into impulse.

also assuming i get this down.... once i have recorded my drums it loops.... then i move to the horns... i just record over the previous loop with overdub correct?? well now i have both recordings but they arent synced like i want them, so i try to move to arrangement view to rearange things and there is nothing there. sound plays but its all invisible.... im confused.

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm

right now im just trying to produce my first beat... a hip hop beat to scratch too. eventually i wana use live for all aspects, biggest goal is producing some dub step tracks.

im using this for production, i am first and formost a dj/turntablist.. so i was thinking of using ableton to produce and then mix my tacks along with other artists tracks using traktor.

i would like to learn more about using ableton to play live, but i feel like the mixing program in (even though i havent used it) will not be comparable to traktor for a set.

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:13 am

Open up a Drum Rack, drop your samples in there. Double click a blank cell in session view and go to town drawing in some midi notes triggering your samples. Add FX, change the groove, make an alternate midi clip. There are so many choices!

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:43 am

yeah but im trying to use impulse to record some loops right now. im pissed though cause it dosnt show up in the arrangement view... i wana just record a loop of drums maybe 2 measures and some horns once i get that i'll worry more about switching the different banks or watever and making it a whole song.

when u record scenes u put ur drums in 1 vertical colum ur horns in one ur other sounds etc... and u start recording. the horazontal lines that make up each colum are they just for variations of each of ur midi recordings u set in the vertical portion?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:28 pm

The Scenes are useful for making a song arrangement in parts.

You might have a Verse section that goes 4 bars, and then the next 4 bars of the verse adds a bongo. Then there might be a transition into a pre-chorus.

What you would do is maybe label a scene "Chorus A nobongo" and the next scene "Chorus A BongoAction".

In that specific case you'd pretty much have identical scenes, except one has an added bongo. maybe for tidiness you might add/remove a few subtle elements.

Then you could have "Pre-Chorus A" and things switch up, building towards the chorus scene.

There really are no rules, you can have duplicates of clips in your channels (columns) or you can have multiple unique clips. The arrangements are mostly intended for performance use or improvising as you record an arrangement.

As for using arrangement view, there are a few things you might want to try:

1. you can highlight a blank section, right click and choose "Create Midi Clip". This would give you an editable midi clip that you can double click, and draw out your Impulse loop into.

2. if global record is activated, while playing you can record your clips from Session view into the arrangement view. but chances are it would override what you might have in there from previously.

Also get accustomed to the use of the 'Overdub' button, i think its just "OVR", on the top of the screen. And keep in mind that anytime Global Record is activated, it records over any channel that has the Arm Record (red button) activated.