getting started. session vs. arrangment - impulse-

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bedroomDJ

getting started. session vs. arrangment - impulse-

Post by bedroomDJ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 pm

ok so i have been trying to make a simple hip hop beat 94 bpms. i sampled some horns and drums into impulse. when im in session mode i try to record somthing real quick, but when i go to arrangement the stuff i recorded in session mode isnt visable. also the keys for impulse asdfghjk got reassigned or something and my snare and kick were no longer as but jk... anyone know what i need to do?

hybridjosto

Re: getting started. session vs. arrangment - impulse-

Post by hybridjosto » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:48 pm

ok firstly, anything you record into session view does not always get recorded into arrangement view unless the Red record arm button is pressed. you can get it into arrangement after recording clips into session view easily. just press record arm and trigger your clips in session view and they will appear on the arrangement timeline.

it sounds like you could have knocked the keyboard up an octave. try pressing Z/X until the octave description starts with C3... This is where the 1st impulse sample should start.
My production blog - http://transports.tumblr.com

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:42 pm

ok. also i have really only used impulse with a couple files i cut and sampled in arrangement mode. what about operator. and some of these other tools. what are they used for? and is impulse only used for assigning samples u made so u can play or draw them? also when i get a drum rack out can i assign my own keys too the pads? theres are in a weird.

also why would it be necessary to use both session/arrangement view. it feels like session view is more of for live with like the apc 40, and arrangement feels more like what u would use for production.

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:49 pm

yo and this is a personal note. i read your log. PENDELUM IS NOT CRAP!!!! i agree that some of there songs sound similar like they re-edited some loops or somthing but thats just drum n bass for you. check out /chase and status-take me away/ sub focus-mad house/ utah jazz - mesmerize /the qemist - when ur lonely if outa ll that u cant find a single one you like the answer is DnB is not for you.

hybridjosto

Post by hybridjosto » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:24 pm

bedroomDJ wrote:ok. also i have really only used impulse with a couple files i cut and sampled in arrangement mode. what about operator. and some of these other tools. what are they used for? and is impulse only used for assigning samples u made so u can play or draw them? also when i get a drum rack out can i assign my own keys too the pads? theres are in a weird.

also why would it be necessary to use both session/arrangement view. it feels like session view is more of for live with like the apc 40, and arrangement feels more like what u would use for production.
hey man yeah operator is a synth so you can create your own patches from the generated wave forms like sine, square etc. The drum rack is assigned to general midi keys, so if you were playing a drumkit on a keyboard it would start from C1 as your bass drum. There's nothing stopping you re-arranging the pads on the drum rack - you can put whatever sample you like in any patch so place them where you find it easiest.

I tend to write in session view then when I have parts I like enough I record to arrangement but whatever workflow works best for you, but yeah session works great live and for triggering individual clips.

hybridjosto

Post by hybridjosto » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 pm

bedroomDJ wrote:yo and this is a personal note. i read your log. PENDELUM IS NOT CRAP!!!! i agree that some of there songs sound similar like they re-edited some loops or somthing but thats just drum n bass for you. check out /chase and status-take me away/ sub focus-mad house/ utah jazz - mesmerize /the qemist - when ur lonely if outa ll that u cant find a single one you like the answer is DnB is not for you.
haha thanks for reading it - i've heard pendulum are great live but have yet to see them. they are quite mainstream popular in britain and whilst that's not a bad thing their songs were constantly on the radio a couple months ago and I got sick of them!

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:49 pm

yeah there not bad check out the song blood sugar on youtube. im pretty sure thats what its called.