audio interface

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bedroomDJ

audio interface

Post by bedroomDJ » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:23 am

hey, so i was told the first thing i should do is get an audio interface. will this affect the sound quality just for djing and sampling things from vinyl?? or will it also affect the quality or the sound in my computer? or dose it just depend on how many inputs i have? also im looking to buy one and i dont necisarily want the cheapest one as i dont wana upgrade things later. so for production and dj'ing what is my best option? is the only difference in deciding usb and fire wire going to be what computer i have?

yur2die4

Re: audio interface

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 am

The main reason that you want an audio interface is for low latency, although the real value will be proven by reliability and sound quality.

With low latency you will be able to use your vinyl or use any kind of midi much closer to real time instead of there being a really weird kind of 'echo' feeling when you interact with programs.

A test you can do with your current soundcard is perhaps hook up a mic to it, open an audio channel in Ableton Live and set your Input on that channel as where the mic is coming from. Do a few really short clicking noises into the mic and you will probably hear the sound of it coming from your speaker slightly later than when you did the click sound. (be careful about feedback haha)

If you were scratching to something playing in a program and you had that delay, it would seriously mess up your timing.