BCR2000 buttons with LED feedback

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
elektrische

BCR2000 buttons with LED feedback

Post by elektrische » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi all.

Maybe it's all in manual, but it's sometimes hard to find things as they have unexpected names there.

I'd like to map my BCR2000 buttons to arm/disarm the track.
I'd also like them to lite when thing is armed.
Difficulty with BCR is it sends kind of "a half message" when pressing the button once, so to depress the button u have to press it again.

Obvious but it doesn't go together with Live's understanding
(e.g. to turn on and off the clip u have to press button twice first and then to stop it u press tice again.)

But there's also a momentary mode in the BCR (which I have set it for now) but then there's no visual feedback as everything is off all the time.

Szymon

doogs

Re: BCR2000 buttons with LED feedback

Post by doogs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Sounds like you need to turn 'toggle' on for the appropriate buttons on yr BCR....

- Hold down the Edit button, and press the button you'd like to turn toggle on...this puts the BCR in edit mode for that particular button.
- Turn the top push button encoder, 3rd from right (which has MODE written underneath it) until the LCD shows 't on' - this means toggle is set to on for that button.
- Push the Edit button again to exit Edit mode.

Within Edit mode, each of the push-button encoders at the top of the BCR can be used to alter the midi data sent by any knob/button on
the BCR (i.e. CC, channel etc.) The BCR is very easy to program once you get yr head around it.....

Let me know how you go...

fakemoney

Post by fakemoney » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm

This is a funny thing. I've been searching all over the place and can't seem to find the information i need; if anyone can remember if/where this has been posted before it would help a hell of a lot.

I'm looking for information about what MIDI messages Live actually responds to, because it's not as straightforward as it seems. I'm using BCR2000, but not in native mode. I prefer to program the control surface the way I want it (like defining LED ring behavior; for my master parametric EQ rack I've got the cut/gain set to "pan" mode, the freq as a standard rotary display, the Q is a "spread...stuff like that, which I don't think you can do when you dump the preset from Live.) Also, for my live stuff (which is really all I use the bcr for) I'd rather have every parameter hardwired to something, because when I get drunk and stupid and it's late and it's dark and I'm sweating all over the place I don't want to forget that I accidentally clicked on a device rack and now all my faders and mutes are now controlling filters and delays. :oops:

Which brings up a tangential question about Instant Map mode...I can't totally wrap my head around the behaviors for this. With Reason's Remote, it completely hijacks the whole control surface and makes all the buttons (program select, etc) available for mapping. With Live, the program select buttons still seem to function, but I'm not sure there's any difference between the programs if Live has its fingers in the works anyway. What gives?

okay...how to explain...

There are strange behaviors. My track-mute buttons work fine, after a little finessing. I've assigned both ON and OFF values to 127 on a given CC. But the MIDI feedback seems to override the button behavior settings on the BCR...whether it's set to Toggle ON (toggle) or Toggle OFF (momentary) it behaves the same way when connected to Live. As soon as you unplug the USB cable it works exactly as it's programmed to inside the BCR. Weird, but it makes sense.

So the mutes work, and the communication is 2-way (mute with the mouse, the button follows suit, vice versa.) But cue/solo buttons don't work like that, no matter how I program the controller. It seems as though live simply doesn't send any data out for those switches. I can send data from the BCR and Live will respond but I can't get it to work the other way around. Which isn't a huge deal but if I can work it out I'd like to.

So: Is there a straight-up chart of what MIDI data Live a)wants to hear and b)is sending out when a parameter is mapped to a control surface? I've been doing a lot of guessing, trial and error etc and it would suck to have to do this for every device I feel like (eventually) assigning to some control element.

THanks!!

MajoDub

Post by MajoDub » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:12 am

try the different modes with bc manager

AbleTrond

Post by AbleTrond » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm afraid I can't help you with all those Live midi messages, but I am very interested in how you program those different LED-ring modes! Have been looking all over for an answer...

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:39 pm

AbleTrond wrote:I'm afraid I can't help you with all those Live midi messages, but I am very interested in how you program those different LED-ring modes! Have been looking all over for an answer...

??? It clearly states how to in the manual. :)

AbleTrond

Post by AbleTrond » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:05 pm

That may be true, especially now, that I´ve also read the Programming Guide, not only the Users Manual that came with the unit... :oops: Thanx for the tip (or was it a kick in the ass... :wink: ) But I´m still not able to program the normal non-push encoders. Is it only the ones at the very top of the unit that can have different ring-modes? It´s hard to tell from the Programming Guide, as the example only shows the one mode that I am able to select.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 pm

AbleTrond wrote:That may be true, especially now, that I´ve also read the Programming Guide, not only the Users Manual that came with the unit... :oops: Thanx for the tip (or was it a kick in the ass... :wink: ) But I´m still not able to program the normal non-push encoders. Is it only the ones at the very top of the unit that can have different ring-modes? It´s hard to tell from the Programming Guide, as the example only shows the one mode that I am able to select.

Ok tell me which button you want to program and at what settings and I will try to do it myself first.

Strange: my normal encoders do not have the full bar options either. I guess it is built that way...seems silly though.

elektrische

Post by elektrische » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Yes - thats it when it gets wrong.
when I toggle it it is neccessary to press twice to arm and then gtwice again to unarm.
The same happens with launching and stopping the session-view clips.

The momentary mode (toggle off) seems like the only solution,
but then what the lights in bcr biuttons are for? what do they work with? (I havent treid different softwares yet.
doogs wrote:Sounds like you need to turn 'toggle' on for the appropriate buttons on yr BCR....

- Hold down the Edit button, and press the button you'd like to turn toggle on...this puts the BCR in edit mode for that particular button.
- Turn the top push button encoder, 3rd from right (which has MODE written underneath it) until the LCD shows 't on' - this means toggle is set to on for that button.
- Push the Edit button again to exit Edit mode.

Within Edit mode, each of the push-button encoders at the top of the BCR can be used to alter the midi data sent by any knob/button on
the BCR (i.e. CC, channel etc.) The BCR is very easy to program once you get yr head around it.....

Let me know how you go...

AbleTrond

Post by AbleTrond » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:13 pm

[/quote]Ok tell me which button you want to program and at what settings and I will try to do it myself first.

Strange: my normal encoders do not have the full bar options either. I guess it is built that way...seems silly though.[/quote]

Thanks for helping! What I want is simply to control some abletonfaders (amplitude) and, when I have the fader all the way up, I want the BCR LED-ring show me the whole turn. That is 15 LEDs at the same time... And I want the controller to be a normal, nonpushable encoder.

doogs

Post by doogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:44 pm

elektrische wrote:Yes - thats it when it gets wrong.
when I toggle it it is neccessary to press twice to arm and then gtwice again to unarm.
The same happens with launching and stopping the session-view clips.
Silly question, but you do have Remote enabled in your midi preferences right..?
elektrische wrote: The momentary mode (toggle off) seems like the only solution,
but then what the lights in bcr biuttons are for? what do they work with? (I havent treid different softwares yet.
I use the buttons to mute/unmute tracks, switch on/off effects etc. and the LED feedback works great. However, I did experience the same problem as you in regards to arming tracks for recording (needed to press twice).
You may be able to get round the problem with something like Bomes, convert desired midi to keystroke, and map record arm to keystroke? Toggle feedback on LED should remain....
Seems like a long-winded solution...but it's all I can offer I'm afraid....

doogs

Post by doogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm

AbleTrond wrote: What I want is simply to control some abletonfaders (amplitude) and, when I have the fader all the way up, I want the BCR LED-ring show me the whole turn. That is 15 LEDs at the same time... And I want the controller to be a normal, nonpushable encoder.
The non-push button encoders (i.e. all encoders except for the top row) do NOT have the option of full bar LED display.
Just how the BCR is....

guanche

Post by guanche » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:56 pm

http://shoshin.110mb.com/genmce/mackie_ ... mmands.htm

Here you can see the MIDI note on messages that live respond to!!

Download and use BCManager!! It's awesome!!!!

There is a yahoo user group called BC2000. You'll find A LOT of info there.

SonicAlchemist

Post by SonicAlchemist » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 pm

To use the BCR2000 buttons to arm a track in Ableton:

Set the max and min values of the button to 127
Set toggle : On

kevleect

Post by kevleect » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 pm

SonicAlchemist wrote:To use the BCR2000 buttons to arm a track in Ableton:

Set the max and min values of the button to 127
Set toggle : On