please somone respond... i want to buy my first midi control

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bedroomDJ

please somone respond... i want to buy my first midi control

Post by bedroomDJ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:02 pm

I have finally figured ableton out to the point where i have decided it would be beneficial to own a midi controller. Im not sure but is the APC 40 more for performing live, and recording and mixing you're clips in session view when you make an arrangement? Where as a midi controller like the akai mpk 25 or Edirol pcr 300 would be more useful when im recording my individual clips and loops or watever. the thing is the akai and edirol are the only two i've come across to both have velocity pads and keys.. im trying to produce dubstep dnb and just hip hop beats. can anyone please shed some light on my situation, im prepared to spend 300-400 dollars on somthing however i dont want it to be a POS i want it to be somthing i can use for laying down bass lines, making drum loops, adding treble all of that. please also id like an answer bout the apc, i feel the way i do about it because it has no keys..

oddstep

Re: please somone respond... i want to buy my first midi control

Post by oddstep » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:48 pm

the m-audio axiom also has a mix of pads, keys and controllers. I think that mix of interfaces would be useful for writing tracks. I play live using a padkontrol to launch clips- so i'd guess any pad grid would do the job.

mscoelho

Post by mscoelho » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:35 pm

I think the APC40 is a great value in a Live controller, but if you need keys and pads, get a Novation Remote SL and the new Launchpad. For around what you would spend on the APC40, you'll have keys, pads and a bigger grid controller.

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:50 pm

dose the novation sl have enough knobs and things for mapping effects?

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:51 pm

if i were you i'd opt for a....

MPK 25...or 49
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 pm

ok the novation thing looks tight i checked it out. so with the launch pad theres no knobs or anything if ur playing live and u just wana add some effects how do u do that? have them assigned to a certain pad in each track? then u could control effects individually for each clip in each scene?? can i use the knobs on the novation to conrol effects when im recording scenes into an arrangement, if so, once i had the effects placed on my knobs how would i choose which scene i was adding the effect to?

mscoelho

Post by mscoelho » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Watch the Novation video on their web site for the Launch pad. There are mode buttons across the right side and top of the controller. By switching to an FX mode, you can adjust parameters, but they will change in steps rather than discreetly as they would with a rotary controller.