Transposing MIDI files..

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Post Reply
digimixa
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Transposing MIDI files..

Post by digimixa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi,

Is there an easy way to convert MIDI files to different keys? For example I have some MIDI files in the key of E Minor, how could they be converted to A Minor? Is this possible without manually working out all the intervals..

Thanks.
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Ableton's Scale device? Might work, never used it.

Omniology
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Hamburg Germany
Contact:

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by Omniology » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:50 am

use the cursor to to draw a box around the notes,don't touch the note it self but rather just under the lowest one, they will get dark red, as opposed to red, then simply drag down or up to the "A" of your choice.

OM

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:14 am

^^ I know close to nothing about music theory but I'm pretty sure he'd need to move some intervals around like he mentioned.. So they don't all just move relative to eachother (like move everything up 2 notes, or down 3 notes), some of the notes would be shifted around a bit, is that right OP?

digimixa
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by digimixa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll try out the scale plugin.
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

sounddevisor
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by sounddevisor » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:00 pm

outershpongolia wrote:^^ I know close to nothing about music theory but I'm pretty sure he'd need to move some intervals around like he mentioned.. So they don't all just move relative to eachother (like move everything up 2 notes, or down 3 notes), some of the notes would be shifted around a bit, is that right OP?

Actually, if the OP is trying to do a straight transposition (i.e., E minor to A minor) then there is no need to alter any of the intervals - dragging all of the notes the same distance up or down will transpose the entire file.

If the issue was transposing notation, then some of the note names might have to be adjusted (i.e. E# renamed to F, or Db renamed to C#) but the actual interval relationships remain the same.

digimixa
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by digimixa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:28 pm

sounddevisor wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:^^ I know close to nothing about music theory but I'm pretty sure he'd need to move some intervals around like he mentioned.. So they don't all just move relative to eachother (like move everything up 2 notes, or down 3 notes), some of the notes would be shifted around a bit, is that right OP?

Actually, if the OP is trying to do a straight transposition (i.e., E minor to A minor) then there is no need to alter any of the intervals - dragging all of the notes the same distance up or down will transpose the entire file.

If the issue was transposing notation, then some of the note names might have to be adjusted (i.e. E# renamed to F, or Db renamed to C#) but the actual interval relationships remain the same.
That's very helpful. Thanks :D
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:37 pm

sounddevisor wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:^^ I know close to nothing about music theory but I'm pretty sure he'd need to move some intervals around like he mentioned.. So they don't all just move relative to eachother (like move everything up 2 notes, or down 3 notes), some of the notes would be shifted around a bit, is that right OP?

Actually, if the OP is trying to do a straight transposition (i.e., E minor to A minor) then there is no need to alter any of the intervals - dragging all of the notes the same distance up or down will transpose the entire file.

If the issue was transposing notation, then some of the note names might have to be adjusted (i.e. E# renamed to F, or Db renamed to C#) but the actual interval relationships remain the same.
There ya go, see I don't know music theory more than what note each key on the keyboard is, so it was a shot in the dark.. But if you were goin from A major to A minor then you'd need to shift some stuff around, right?

sounddevisor
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by sounddevisor » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
There ya go, see I don't know music theory more than what note each key on the keyboard is, so it was a shot in the dark.. But if you were goin from A major to A minor then you'd need to shift some stuff around, right?

Yes, that's right - going from A major to A minor (or, more broadly, from any major to minor with the same note name) you would need to change some of the interval relationships. That's because those interval relationships are what really define the "quality" (i.e. major, minor, dominant, etc.) of the scale or key. And that's why the "transpose by dragging all notes" method works - because transposing keeps all the interval relationships the same, just changes which one you are starting from, if that makes sense.

Of course, if you are keyboard-centric and visually oriented, it gets more confusing because those relationships look different in different places on the keyboard - C to E is the same interval as C# to F, but it looks very different. So transposing on the keyboard looks confusing because the pattern of white and black notes shifts as you change keys, even though the intervals remain constant.

And there you have today's theory lesson - hope it's helpful! I may have plenty to learn about Ableton Live, but all those years of lessons and music school have to be good for something, right?

digimixa
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by digimixa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks again to everyone. I've still much to learn and I'm amazed at how simple it turned out to be.
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:59 pm

sounddevisor wrote:And there you have today's theory lesson - hope it's helpful! I may have plenty to learn about Ableton Live, but all those years of lessons and music school have to be good for something, right?
Haha, I'm the opposite, I replace musical knowledge with being able to be like "hey check out these crazy sounds I can make with my laptop!"

The only advantage is I can have a great sounding mp3 recorded mixed and somewhat mastered better than most of my friends who can rip on guitar but have no idea how to set their tone levels on their amp..

To each their own, and thanks for the theory lesson!

aeon_flux
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by aeon_flux » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:27 am

sounddevisor wrote:
outershpongolia wrote: Yes, that's right - going from A major to A minor (or, more broadly, from any major to minor with the same note name) you would need to change some of the interval relationships.
melodyne is doing it corectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeLKMHxbN8 5:20 and up. that example is showing copying not moving but it is clearly visible that not all notes keep the same distance while moving - i wonder if there's a way to do the same in live.

RajahP
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 am

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by RajahP » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Yes, a scale snap feature like Sony Acid would be nice.

michael4u
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Scottland

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by michael4u » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 am

Thank You. Your information is looking to be quite useful for me. I will also forward this link to myfriend also.

sounddevisor
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: Transposing MIDI files..

Post by sounddevisor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:52 pm

RajahP wrote:Yes, a scale snap feature like Sony Acid would be nice.
I haven't done much with it, but wouldn't the "scale" MIDI effect pretty much do this?

Post Reply