DMX light control with ableton

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
nightspring

DMX light control with ableton

Post by nightspring » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:21 pm

deadmau5 has said he triggers his light show from ableton. Does anyone have any information on how to use Live 8 as a DMX lighting controller? I have 4 different dj lights and if I could use ableton to set up a light show, that would be amazing.

TomSwirly

Re: DMX light control with ableton

Post by TomSwirly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Short answer - absolutely doable and pretty easy - I've done it myself.

Longer answer - MIDI sucks for DMX because MIDI controllers only go 0-127 but DMX goes 0-255. What that means is that you can't hit half every other DMX value. You think this is no big deal... but then you have issues like scanner lights (where you can't hit your spot!) or low-levels (where each step is very visible in a fade...)

http://www.innovateshowcontrols.com/sup ... di-dmx.pdf is a great reference. They also make good products! I personally use an Enttec box - however, the Behringer Eurolight is a good choice too.

nightspring

Post by nightspring » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:07 am

Thank you for your reply TomSwirly! This is good news. I'll check out that site. :D

amsonx

Post by amsonx » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:51 am

You ca see this post on vjforums

http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=26 ... hlight=DMX

and can some search on this board, there are many trehad about midi to DMX and some in order to use Live for this

hope can be help

dedmunds

Post by dedmunds » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:55 pm

I'm thinking about getting the Enttec Box and preprogramming my lights. Is there anything better out there I feel like this device is old.