Help needed to fatten this track mix ?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supamonsta

Help needed to fatten this track mix ?

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi,

here is a track I'm reworking for a fre release,

it's a fat electro remix of Beastie Boy's acapella "Sure Shot"

http://www.soundcloud.com/monstrejumo

(first track, it's a 320K mp3 file)

I'm pretty happy with the overall sound, but I'd like to fatten it, like it was too clean crystal clear...)

I tried adding some saturators, compression on the master but naaah... I'm not aiming at another crap in the loudness war, I'd just like to have it more "fat"...

any ideas, opinions on the mix?

Thanks in advance (don't know the good english words for that)

cheers :D

schnerg

Re: Help needed to fatten this track mix ?

Post by schnerg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 pm

sounds like your kick drum needs to be beefier.
also the bass could use some low end, like a clean sin wave, or another oscillator an octave or two lower
and some reverb somewhere would probably help give it some space

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:43 pm

thanks mate,

for the low end it's strange because in the headphones and on live sono systems the bass is the lowest and hugest I've never made!! but I guess it perhaps lacks some low-mids perhaps?

cheers

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:32 pm

I agree...the kick needs to have more presence...maybe just use a sidechain compressor so the kick comes through better. Bass line could use some fattening as well, layer it with an octave below or some sin wave.

Was this mastered? If not, you can get some mileage out of Izotope's Ozone 4...even just using the electro preset will bring out alot of the sounds.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:50 pm

move on to the next track, man - this one's nailed. bumps really nice here. 8)

only thing i'd do is maybe add some extra synth bleeps n bloops to accentuate the lyrics etc, and have a alternative breakdown bit on the second break (the bass running out of batteries bit). but yea, sounds tuff.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:53 am

:D

thanks so much for your feedbacks.

- kick ==> I'll try to saturate it a bit (it is already sidechaining the bass ans synths lines)

- Subs : ydid you listen to the track with food monitoring? because as I said, this track as HUGE bass with huge low end in my beyerdynamic 770 pro AND on 2 different sono systems that I played on...
it is a really subby bass, so it is not really audible, say, on laptop mini speakers or ipod earbuds, but I can affirm there ARE some subs... NO????

Both of you that feels it lacks some low end, could you tell me on what monitors did you notice that? because I may be totally wrong and I'd like to know!!! :lol:

- alternative breakdown is a good idea, this track is in my "old fashion" lazy composition process : 2 times same stuff... :lol: you feel like having the bass getting "out of batteries" 2 times is too much redondant?

- extra bleeps n bloops: I don't think I'll do this, I already find this track a bit too much filled with many stuff...

I just would like to FINISH and RELEASE my free EP (6 tracks to finish like this one), so as to be able to work on new stuff... (this EP is a compilation of 6 remixes, and some of them like this one are already 2 years old...)

So I guess I won't re-arrange too deep, but concentrate on the mix/master stage :wink:
I just purchased harrison mixbus, so I'll perhap's give it a try with these tracks...

THANKS A LOT

I'll keep you informed

cheers

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:15 pm

the synths and everything sound great, maaaybe tidy up the ultra lows so the good stuff sticks out.

aaaalso i hate to be that guy but the beastie verses are pretty off. the mike d part is legit but it's kinda all over the place when they're rappin. take your time and warp it and you got a hitskie!

nice composition though furreal, my house tracks are stuck in loops ;)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:29 am

thanks ;)

I hear you about the acapella warping, I have passed lots of time on it (since about 2 years that this song was initially composed), and now pretty used to it, so your opinion is interesting, I'll check this with your own ears :wink:

I'm still feeling strange the fact that you ALL feel a lack of low end...

you must be right...

but in my headphones, ipod, monitors, on live gigs... this song HAS HUGE LOW END...
8O

I'm working on another mix of this track, listening to your advices,

feedback soon :o

cheers

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:02 pm

monstrejumo wrote:I'm still feeling strange the fact that you ALL feel a lack of low end...
i didn't say that.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:53 pm

:wink:

no you didn't

The new mix is now uploaded,

having listened to the majority of your advices, let me know!!

Thanks a lot for your support, I really appreciate :D

http://www.soundcloud.com/monstrejumo

the 2 first tracks are the last last remixes I reworked with lots of work to get it powerful while not too much squashed/pumped.

Cheers