Use Macro Knobs to tweak Midi-CC-Envelopes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mok

Use Macro Knobs to tweak Midi-CC-Envelopes

Post by mok » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi guys,

In Live8 on a Mac I recently tried to map the 8 Macro knobs of an Instrument rack to tweak the Midi-CC Envelopes of a Midi-Clip in realtime, but I didn´t get it to work. I then did a search on this topic, and found lots of workarounds to record Midi-CCs into the clips envelopes in realtime (Midi IAC on the Mac is the key), but I am still not able to map the 8 knobs freely to Midi-CCs, so I could tweak 8 Parameters of external HW when selecting a Rack, and have multiple racks prepared for different Instruments. Right now I use different templates on my Midi-Controller, which is quite hard to switch everytime I want to controll another external Instrument - would be a lot easier to do within Live. Has anybody a hint or workaround for this problem?

thanks & take care,
mark

Veiss

Re: Use Macro Knobs to tweak Midi-CC-Envelopes

Post by Veiss » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 pm

What was the best workaround you found to record into clip envelopes realtime? Thanks..

mok

Post by mok » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 am

The easiest way to record into clips while tweaking was using the IAC driver that comes with OS X. then you can set up one track input Midi and route it to IAC port1, and then take another track where you record the midi in that comes from IAC. that wa you can map your Midi-Controller to the first tracks Instrument rack while still recording the midi on the other track; see the whole explanation here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb09/a ... h_0209.htm

maybe it also works within the same clip without IAC, but here it didn´t... but my problems still unsolved...

LithiuMind

Post by LithiuMind » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:32 pm

http://www.roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html

Robert Henke has built a max4live patch which allows you to send MIDI CCs from macro knobs.