Split Clip doesn't work the way I expected. How to make loop

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pairajacks

Split Clip doesn't work the way I expected. How to make loop

Post by pairajacks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:54 am

I just want to copy portions of a midi song (found on internet) and paste these into Session View where I can loop them. What you'd think would be a simple cut and paste is a tremendous tortuous non-intuitive experience!

1. You'd think selecting notes in Clip View and right click there'd be a copy & paste. No; too easy.
2. Next, when you find out how to use the Split Command (You can only "see" the split command if you click in the track display...only works in Arr View)
If you copy one of the "Split" clips, you really just copied the whole clip, but the part you "Split" is highlighted.
How do you discard everything but the highlighted "good" part? It must be easy; Please tell me how to do this

8O

Re: Split Clip doesn't work the way I expected. How to make loop

Post by 8O » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:40 pm

Although there's no right-click context menu copy and paste, you can still use CTRL+C, CTRL+V and/or use the edit menu bar method.

Not sure if I understand your second question, but what I do is in arrangement mode split the clip to isolate the part I want to copy, select the desired clip and drag and drop into session view...

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:56 pm

The 2nd part of your question is to use the "crop audio" command and only the highlighted part will remain. This will create a new audio file on your disk. If it is Midi, use the "crop Midi" command.
Terrence Lennon

decrepitude

Post by decrepitude » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:50 pm

He's talking about the 'split' command in the arrangement view.

Answer: Use the 'consolidate' command. You can right click on the clip to see this option or under the edit menu. Works for midi and audio.

Your welcome. :lol:

pairajacks

Post by pairajacks » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:34 am

Decrepitude was right on- thanks! I used split, then consolidate to pull pieces out of the song to form concise loop segments. I'm just amazed that Ableton is soooooooooooooooooo lame at providing this functionality in an intuitive manner. Why not make this a right click option. Why is it only in Arrangement view?

aftertouch

Post by aftertouch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:31 am

command e then command j

slice and consolidate