looping with 'soft' edges

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
drifta303

looping with 'soft' edges

Post by drifta303 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:25 am

So if I create a synth pad loop in reason and want to render it and bring it across to ableton as a clip i can trigger whenever I want, the decay/fadeout/reverb effects get messed up..

Is there a way to loop a sample with 'soft' edges so the reverb and decay effects continue on? I could emulate it with a reverb on that channel, but its not the same... if there is no way to do this, i might suggest it as a feature request.

yur2die4

Re: looping with 'soft' edges

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:39 am

Double the size of the loop. Infact, triple it.. have the last part blank.. so that you have the reverb tail minus the synth sound.

Then when you set your start point, have it at the beginning. Have the loop point on the second part. Whenever you need the tail, just add it in.

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:06 am

If the reverb you're using is in Live and not Reason you can use Live's "Render as loop" function. It goes through 2 passes of the material so echoes and reverb tails are preserved.

If your doing the reverb in Reason you will just need a longer loop.

drifta303

Post by drifta303 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:59 am

mode - Great idea!! thanks for that, ill use that in session view..
although when I want to stop the clip and goto the next one it would be nice if there was some sort of 'stop button follow to this clip' option, i guess ill just have to do that manually.

yur2die4 - Where is the 'render as loop' option?, is this in session view or arrangement view? is that a right click option somewhere?

cheers guys!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 pm

I think you got our names mixed up :)

Anyway, If clip space isn't a problem, you could possibly add the 'tail' as a non-looping clip underneath your loop. Then anytime you need to stop that clip, instead of hitting stop on that channel you would trigger the 'tail' clip. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you had a full scene based around it... That is about the best I can think of for that. Reverb tail is sloppy anyway :) you can fill that space (beginning of a new phrase section) with any number of things other than that tail.. no one would miss it.

adam maggs

Post by adam maggs » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:52 am

Hi there,

Give this ago:
1) right-click the track and select Freeze
2) copy the clip to another track (if you only want this for one clip) OR right-click the track again & choose Flatten (if you want to apply to all clips on that track)

cheers,

Adam
www.liveschool.net
Music Production Training