Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bulo

Re: Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Post by bulo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 pm

You have to midi map FX.
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

rosti

Post by rosti » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Yep. Automap supports only external plugins. So cmd (or ctrl) + m to map

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 am

Question: when setting knobs under user 2 via holding the first and last pad in midi map(transition works well from min to max) but under user 1 it does not seem to work well (it skips from min to max abruptly. As well how do I find what they call control maps under FX section (or is that Max for live and java programming)
i am just not sure how to get it to work. I scrolled thru and saw CC's and then I saw under user that there looked like some drum pad set up when you scroll far left. How do you use that.

thanks for the help :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

mehsanoh

Post by mehsanoh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Knowing you can only access track volumes via the mixer view, does anyone have a good trick to be able to mix in a track without having to toggle between session and mixer view quickly?

I guess using the A/B fader is one way but it's a bit of a downer. :?
Imho one of the main advantages of the APC is that it has a fader per track, directly accessible with the session view. Not sure how to best manage this miss with Launchpad.
Oh yeah, I was at Dubpot in NYC to listen to Thavius Beck for a Ableton Live user group and he said he uses filtering a lot to transition in between tracks seamlessly.

Also, what global quantize setting do you use to launch clips when you have a DJ-type set up in Live? "None" mirrors regular mixing techniques the most but requires this extra precision. 1/4 seems to work ok for me. Any other suggestion?

tripandball

Post by tripandball » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 am

Why is the mapping hardwired. I dont want to use automap, because i am using 5 other controllers. Please make it programmable! I had to use midipipe to work it around the vcm 600 which is also not programmable! Please change this in the next one! I detailed how to map around it on my blog.

http://djfrobot.blogspot.com/2010/03/ma ... chpad.html

FroBot

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Forgive if I use the wrong terms but I will try to explain as best as possible. How can I change the midi mapping in the launchpad so that the apc 40 does not conflict with the user 1's ability to control drum racks vst's.

I have set up the apc 40 to be similar to the mononome clip follow action ( wanted to do this under user 1 in LP but got audio feedback :( ). The apc works just fine for this purpose and then I want to have the launch pad to control the 6-13 session as well as user 1 vst's.

If I change in automap (which I've not really screwed with) will that not affect the session view's ability to luanchclips. I love problem solving but it is starting to get annoying. I'd grab the apc 20 but it needs to be connected to a power source. I want akai to come out with a $150 pad with no faders, knobs, and no need for a power source.

The reason I ask is i'm on a PC
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

skateboardkid

Post by skateboardkid » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:12 am

I know how to change the color on user 1 and 2
- use a midi track with the input from your music and the out put to the launchpad -

Q2.I can chain it to on off switches on some garbage channel full of FX just for on off lights this purpose but how do I make the buttons green?

Q3.Can I get midi out put from the midi volume so that I can send a signal back to the launch pad - this will allow me to do all kinds of things that may or may not be possible.

Record a midi track and then you can arm it for record and play something on the drum pad and then stop the recording clip clip take off the over dub and play along with it - plus is you rot a midi signal back to the paunch pad you get the visually see the playback. Chop long samples into midi so you get full sentences chopped out automatically and basslines and riifs - try it.

5o63

Post by 5o63 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:41 am

I've got a suggestion.
If you can globally change the pitch of any sample pressed on the launchpad surface with a bcr2000 encoder as the pitch controller it might be helpful to be able to map a cc button to press that then reverts that sample pressed by the launchpad surface back to the correct pitch.
Its driving me insane,I.WANT.IT.IN.MY.SET.
Its been 3 weeks.
But having to manually fine tune the pitch back by the bcr2000 is giving me the fucking shits,and killing my respect for this software and controller.
Its so god damn cool to be able to pitch offset any sample with one encoder why is nobody answering my simple question.
Pretty fucking please.
I have been blessed with the launchpad and later the full version of ablton live,then discovered something that has to be in my set.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:27 pm

5o63 wrote:I've got a suggestion.
If you can globally change the pitch of any sample pressed on the launchpad surface with a bcr2000 encoder as the pitch controller it might be helpful to be able to map a cc button to press that then reverts that sample pressed by the launchpad surface back to the correct pitch.
Its driving me insane,I.WANT.IT.IN.MY.SET.
Its been 3 weeks.
But having to manually fine tune the pitch back by the bcr2000 is giving me the fucking shits,and killing my respect for this software and controller.
Its so god damn cool to be able to pitch offset any sample with one encoder why is nobody answering my simple question.
Pretty fucking please.
I have been blessed with the launchpad and later the full version of ablton live,then discovered something that has to be in my set.
Hmmm... may I suggest Maschine? In Maschine, you just hold the pad for any sample and tweak the tempo knob to change the pitch on the fly. Or you can hold any group button and do the same to globally change the pitch of all samples in a group. And the whole time, you have visual feedback via the LCD displays on the hardware so it's easy to set it back to default. And Maschine integrates very well with Live.

If not, then perhaps a Nocturn. Using it with the free instant mapping script by guille, you have a knob dedicated to transposing either an audio or midi clip. And again, you have visual feedback of the pitch offset on the automap gui on the screen.

stevenclements

Recording Midi from the Novation Launchpad StepSEQ

Post by stevenclements » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm

A friend turned me onto this he will record the output from the StepSEQ by opening another audio track, selecting resampling from the Audio From assignment in the track and recording the output - this is great as it basically records everything your doing with effects and drums if you want too.

You can then of course record just the audio output from StepSEQ and your assigned software synth or external hardware synth for that matter. Warp mark the output, export as a midi file and play with that.

ALSO - you can record the midi output as I figured out last night... and this was much easier then I could have imagined, and as its the midi you're recording much more flexible if you need it that way.

1) Setup StepSEQ as you would... using a VST/AU synth or an external synth
2) Create a new empty MIDI track
3) Select the synth you assigned in step one that the StepSEQ is triggering in MIDI From in this new midi track.
4) Arm the new midi track and record.

simple... piece of cake!

and fun

:)

couttsben

Post by couttsben » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am

A great technique i use for my drum beats. I set up a group of 4-5 drum audio clips and with each audio i change the loop brace to different parts of the clip on each one. Now i select all the clips and double click them so i can get the launch clip mode at the bottom of the screen and with each clip i change the setting of the launch task bar to Legato, 16th notes on the quantize bar. This then allows me to trigger each clip on the 16th note and come up with some really interesting drum patterns and come up with some wicked break beat stuff, check out my stuff to get a better understanding of what it can do, http://www.berkleemusic.com/members/14145005

Cheers everyone :D

superli

Post by superli » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Baptiste G wrote:Here's a thread to share your tips and tricks when using a Novation Launchpad to control Ableton Live. You can also share all improvement suggestions.

We look forward to your input!

Here are a few interesting threads about Launchpad:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130834
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130678
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129451

Looking for inspiration?
Check out videos of Launchpad in action here:
http://www.facebook.com/novationlaunchpad

++

Baptiste
Excited! I have found the famous sports shoes like Jordan, Nike and so on are very cheap in one website and at the same time in high quality with safe shipping. So, we can own a lot of famous and comfortable shoes and the most important, we can save a lot of money! Woo, does it sounds good? I can’t wait to tell u the wonderful website: http://www.enjoynike.com

WFTD

Post by WFTD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Some great posts on here everyone!! Thanks for all your help!

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:48 pm

i found this nice reaktor ensemble for launchpad

http://kongbalong.com/blog/#post-650

i still need a application for change the mapping of the launchpad directly. perhaps im wrong but i think its really possible to programm the launchpad microcontroller directly with usb. the datasheet can be downloaded here:

http://www.illuminatedsounds.com/?p=583

as you can see the pcb has a programming adapter, but maybe the mapping is hardcoded in the driver.

cheers
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

MrThePlague

Post by MrThePlague » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:26 pm

So how about a way to get rid of the mixer mode, cause it is way to limiting for any practical use. I just want I third blank slate. Also, it would be helpful to have an adjustable smooth transition when controlling a knob or fader with a row of pads, LP filters do not sound so good jerking around.

I divide my user mode 1 up to control different drum racks, some for percussion, some for vocal cuts/sound effects. I'm working on away to have track selection transition when I press on an assigned trigger, any suggestions?