Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
yur2die4

Re: Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Have you used Automap for the Launchpad? Super powerful. Gives you a page per MIDI channel, specific control per vst, and decent midi editing. And thats jut the free version. I'm debating on getting the pay version (keyboard shortcuts would make copying/pasting clips into scenes interesting!)

Imagine that each page can have your own custom layout of pads either as a keyboard arrangement, or for double-up MPC arrangement (Jeremy Ellis style haha)

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:34 pm

I didn't find much use for Automap and I don't think the paid for version works with the launchpad,

Please note Automap 3.2 PRO is only compatible with the following Novation products:

ReMOTE SL
ReMOTE ZeRO SL
ReMOTE SL Compact
NOCTURN
ReMOTE SL MkII
ReMOTE ZeRO SL MkII
Nocturn 25
Nocturn 49
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

malutki

Post by malutki » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 pm

:?
so Launchpad - M4L = more or less fail?
I'm going home

skateboardkid

Post by skateboardkid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 am

On my mixer page I mapped the kills for the high low and mid of my EQ 3 kills to the top three rows of my mixer page, 6 channels of that helps me sort out some weird mixes, and looks cool as the buttons on top 3 rows are now yellow on the mixer page.
I picked up a korg NanoKontrol and it frees up the entire mixer page as it has 9 volume sliders, plus 4 programmable scenes for 9 knobs and 18 buttons plus the sliders and an entire scene launch area that can be reprogrammed.

If you have a ton of samples you can drag them all out onto a drum rack at once and then play through them a little faster than waiting for each to load.

I also Dj and mildly produce on the fly so I don't need the scene launch buttons - as long as they are on and off midi controls they will light up and blink when they are off - significant effects could be set up between 9 buttons

Also assigning the crossfader to the bottom row of the launch page can let you start mixing ten times faster untill you get a real crossfader or assign it to a knob. If you use all 9 buttons you can eve get a center button as the 8 sets it off to one side or another ?? serously..

FTW

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Sat May 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I made a resequencer using a launchpad, a midi rack, and the liveslice demo. I dunno what to call it. Have a look at the vids on http://mattnasty.com It's more of a DJ tool for live rearranging and sampling and triggering. Enjoy! No need for max.

cigbunt

Post by cigbunt » Fri May 07, 2010 7:37 am

pepezabala wrote:I made this set of letters to display them on the launchpad, and thought I might share it. It's a midi clip for each letter of the alphabet, nothing fancy. I have it already assigned to the keys of the computerkeyboard. Works in user mode 1.

Download it here: Alphabet-Livepack(rightclick - save-as)

how do i get this to work!??

i downloaded... opened up the file...

then all i should do is select the midiout to on the channel with the letters on then go to user 1 mode??

i cant seem to get it to work?!?

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 pm

I ordered a second launchpad... how can I set up two LPs to access all 128 notes in one instance of sampler? is that possible or not?

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat May 08, 2010 9:43 pm

#1thelark wrote:I ordered a second launchpad... how can I set up two LPs to access all 128 notes in one instance of sampler? is that possible or not?
Bump, anyone? If I use one LP in user1 the mapping is not as described in the LP-programming-guide, meaning I get different notes from those shown in that guide... Can you think of an option how to use both LPs to access all 128notes in sampler?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat May 08, 2010 10:11 pm

I am afraid no...
There is maybe a trick with midi tracks and "pitch" midi effect ?....
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat May 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah right... :oops:
Once I got my hands on it, it's so simple all of a sudden... before I tend to think it might actually be difficult.
I'd better say good nite.

skateboardkid

Post by skateboardkid » Thu May 13, 2010 6:23 pm

for drum racks and virtual instruments try place an arpeggiator in front of you midi instrument, make sure to route your midi signal back to launch pad in seperate midi track!

For virtual instruments try and place a major or minor chord in front of your instrument and play normally.

epjl2000

Post by epjl2000 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey guys,

Can you midi assign the launchpad to represent EQ? Such that it will look like the volume bars in mixer mode, except each column represents a band of EQ.

Can anybody check it out?

Cheers!
Just

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri May 28, 2010 12:24 pm

if you write a user control script for automap, you can switch the launchpad into automap mode and then use that to control instant mapped/blue hand devices. automap has visual feedback on the launchpad. Here's a link - http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... nt+mapping

ollybsides

Post by ollybsides » Sat May 29, 2010 9:48 am

#1thelark wrote:I ordered a second launchpad... how can I set up two LPs to access all 128 notes in one instance of sampler? is that possible or not?
Two midi tracks.
One with pitch transpose set to +64.
On each track, set midi inputs to Launchpad 1 and Launchpad 2 respectively.
Group the 2 MIDI tracks.
MIDI track > Drum rack.
Set input to the group track.

Haven't tried it but it should work.

(let me know)

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 am

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=143704 its a launchpad idea. it doesnt exist yet. check the title of the link too. cash offered for builders.