Solo and Mute

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hunchermuncher

Solo and Mute

Post by hunchermuncher » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Just getting to know Ableton. I see that you can solo tracks, but how do you mute a single track (ie vertical column in Session View)? I can see that you could Control+Click on all the track Solo buttons that you want to hear, apart from the one that you don't want to hear but this is obviously long-winded. I must be missing something here. Thanks.

mr.adl

Re: Solo and Mute

Post by mr.adl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:00 pm

hunchermuncher wrote:Just getting to know Ableton. I see that you can solo tracks, but how do you mute a single track (ie vertical column in Session View)? I can see that you could Control+Click on all the track Solo buttons that you want to hear, apart from the one that you don't want to hear but this is obviously long-winded. I must be missing something here. Thanks.

Go with your intuition: :wink:

hunchermuncher

Post by hunchermuncher » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi mr.adl

Thanks very much for pointing this out. The track activator seems like a good idea, but if I clip the Scene launch button the track still plays even if it is deactivated. Also in my version of Ableton Live 8 the track activator buttons are not yellow for some reason - they are light grey or medium grey. Does that mean anything, or maybe just a different version.

Say I wanted to launch a scene but not have the lead playing, just have bass and drums starting together. Then bring the lead in. That's what I'm trying to do.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:23 am

It sounds to me like all your Solo buttons are activated, and that is causing you some confusion. Make sure that none of your Solo buttons are lit, then you should be able to play with the track activator buttons.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:41 am

hunchermuncher wrote:Hi mr.adl
Say I wanted to launch a scene but not have the lead playing, just have bass and drums starting together. Then bring the lead in. That's what I'm trying to do.
This can be done with just more scenes... no mutes or solos required. For example... scene 1 contains drums and bass only and scene two contains copies of the drums and bass plus lead. You do know you are not confined to just scenes as well? Meaning once you launch scene one which contains your bass and drums you could then just launch a lead clip independent from any scenes.

hunchermuncher

Post by hunchermuncher » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 am

Hi 3rdordertrauma

good idea about just moving the lead to another scene. I did know about launching individual clips apart from scenes, though it all still seems more complicated than just having a mute button. But I guess I'll get used to it. Everything else about Ableton seems really intuitive!

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:45 pm

hunchermuncher wrote:Hi 3rdordertrauma

good idea about just moving the lead to another scene. I did know about launching individual clips apart from scenes, though it all still seems more complicated than just having a mute button. But I guess I'll get used to it. Everything else about Ableton seems really intuitive!
Well if that way of working suites you best then of course you can do that too... the mute switches can be easily assigned to your midi controller. Thats the beauty of it... Live pretty much works anyway you'd like to. I'm pretty sure by default the mute switches are assigned to the 'F' keys on the computer keyboard. At least they are on a MAC... not sure about PC.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:10 pm

3rdordertrauma wrote:
hunchermuncher wrote:Hi 3rdordertrauma

Well if that way of working suites you best then of course you can do that too... the mute switches can be easily assigned to your midi controller. Thats the beauty of it... Live pretty much works anyway you'd like to. I'm pretty sure by default the mute switches are assigned to the 'F' keys on the computer keyboard. At least they are on a MAC... not sure about PC.
Yup, F1 through F8 activate and de-activate scenes in windows to.

hunchermuncher

Post by hunchermuncher » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi

Thanks for the tips. I have just tried using the F keys and they do change the state of the Track Activator, but for some reason this does not stop the track playing. So for example in Track 3, I have Impulse playing - whether or not the Track Activator is on or off. I am sure I am missing something obvious here.

hunchermuncher

Post by hunchermuncher » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi

I did miss the obvious - I had Solo switched on with those tracks. Once I switched it off my problems are solved. Thanks everyone for help and patience!