SWing ur kick

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mr-magoo

SWing ur kick

Post by mr-magoo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:52 am

How much swing could be applied in the global box to a kick before it become's a dj's nightmare on a 4/4 track?

dont want to overcook the beef.......

Alextronica

Re: SWing ur kick

Post by Alextronica » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:12 am

I think it doesn't really matter, you can always use the warp markers to put things back into place as a dj. I'd say what ever sounds good to you is the right choice.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

boomstix

Post by boomstix » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:55 pm

i agree, give the deejay a little challenge and they'll respect you more :)

SeeUNextTuesday

Post by SeeUNextTuesday » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Alextronica wrote:I think it doesn't really matter, you can always use the warp markers to put things back into place as a dj.
The fact you even think like this is a little worrying - I would imagine the majority of djing is still done manually using real turntables/cd decks etc. so a production should never be confined to how you would mix it in Ableton or any other program.

I would imagine though that changing the swing shouldn't have a major effect on djing as long as the amount of swing isn't constantly varying?

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 pm

swing anything but the kick

if its hard to mix it wont get played. simple as that. not everyone can be arsed to warp tracks before they play them

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Most grooves don't touch the kick anyway. The kick stays constant so the other swung elements have something to relate to. Assuming all of the kicks are swung the same amount the DJ will just mix as normal and the other elements will appear to have the groove applied.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:20 pm

SeeUNextTuesday wrote:
Alextronica wrote:I think it doesn't really matter, you can always use the warp markers to put things back into place as a dj.
The fact you even think like this is a little worrying
+1, wanted to write the same thing

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:32 pm

My Main point is do what's right for the song and the let the Dj figure out his path.

There's no wrong way to do things. but I agree I not gonna waste my time warping every hit but you could if need be. I would If thought it needed to be done.

Its all possible.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Try different swing ideas. Do not warp out the groove, only warp to overall bpm.

Then play it over various songs that you would imagine it being mixed against.

See if it enhances those songs, gets in the way of them, gives them a unique energy, whatever. And make sure there are some kinds of elements that the dj can follow to keep it inline.

Do not make the dj sound bad.. don't let it sound train-wreckish. But if you can make them sound like god by having a unique quality that really brings the kick into a new dimension, give it a whirl.

yellow

Post by yellow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Inch Lo wrote:swing anything but the kick

if its hard to mix it wont get played. simple as that. not everyone can be arsed to warp tracks before they play them
+1

mrideas

Post by mrideas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 am

If you apply so much swing that it's difficult to mix, i'd suggest it would sound weird anyway. I've mixed cd/vinyl tracks before where they just never seemed to be 'right' in time, but this would have been due to the swing in each track not working against each other. As a DJ this wouldn't stop me playing them, i just found other tracks to mix them with, or EQ'd them in a way to 'hide' things, if i had to continue with the mix. This is something that I didn't come across all that often I might add.

Add the swing i say, so long as it's still got groove, and isn't just weird sounding.

Mixing in ableton is a different story, depending on how you're warping, (with or without transients etc) what global groove setting is applied to the track etc, you will either hear the same, or have no trouble at all due to the original swing in the track being 'warped away' or altered in some aspect.

I think.... ;)

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am

i dj in the traditional sense and if the kick was all over the place and impossible to mix i wouldnt play it

swing everything else and it can leave the impression that the kick has swing on it

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 am

swing doesn't affect quarter notes. so if you have a 4 on the floor kick, any swing amount is possible without altering the main kick in the groove.

swing moves 8ths or 16ths notes a little forward or backward in time.

mr-magoo

Post by mr-magoo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 pm

pepezabala wrote:swing doesn't affect quarter notes. so if you have a 4 on the floor kick, any swing amount is possible without altering the main kick in the groove.

I Dont think ur correct on that statement Pepezabala, i believe swing affects ALL even numbers on a 16th pattern, eg 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 and 16th. All odd numbers stay firm

anybody elso got info on this?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:20 pm

mr-magoo wrote:
pepezabala wrote:swing doesn't affect quarter notes. so if you have a 4 on the floor kick, any swing amount is possible without altering the main kick in the groove.

I Dont think ur correct on that statement Pepezabala, i believe swing affects ALL even numbers on a 16th pattern, eg 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 and 16th. All odd numbers stay firm

anybody elso got info on this?
yesnoyes. quarter notes stay as they are in the grid. they are on the odd numbers any way ;-)

take a midi clip with a 4 on the floor kick and 8th notes hihat, apply some swing from the groove pool, push commit and see how the notes move. I just tried it.