[Piano roll] Possible to change the order of the MIDI notes?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
trommelmeister

[Piano roll] Possible to change the order of the MIDI notes?

Post by trommelmeister » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:35 pm

I would like to re-arrange the order in which the notes are shown in the piano roll. So, instead of C1, C#1, D1, D#1, E1, and so on, I prefer (for example) E1, C1, D1, D#1, C#1.

Why the heck do you want this?, I hear you shouting. Because I use Superior Drummer 2.0 which has a lot of drums with several articulations mapped to MIDI notes all over the place. It is really very confusing if say "HiHat Closed Tip" is at the bottom, "HiHat Edge" is somewhere in the middle, while "HiHat Open 1" is at the top of the piano roll.

To make it easier to handle, I would like to change the order of all the MIDI notes so that various articulations of one type of drum appear together in one group in the piano roll. It would make it much easier to program MIDI tracks.

Naive user that I am, I have already tried using a MIDI effect rack with some chains where every chain lets through only one corresponding MIDI note. After that I resorted the chains in a way I like. But this did not work. The order of the chains has no effect on the order in which the corresponding notes are shown in the piano roll. :-( Ok, nice try but no success.

Does anyone here have other ideas about this? Can I somehow change the order in which the MIDI notes are shown in the piano roll?

I use Live 8.1.1 on Windows7 64bit. BTW, I don't want to buy Max for Live (although I guess you can do this in M4L) because EUR 249 just for resorting the MIDI notes is maybe a little bit too much.

Thanks in advance for any idea/solution/question, best regards, Martin

theophilus

Re: [Piano roll] Possible to change the order of the MIDI notes?

Post by theophilus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:07 am

dunno if you can do that, but if you don't mind using separate tracks for hihat vs. snare (for instance), you could use the fold feature... the drum racks use something like that. It hides the unused notes and gives the other notes names, but they appear to stay in order.

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for your idea! I will try combining several tracks, each containing one drum rack, with the Superior Drummer VST plugin. Regards, Martin

hendryman

Post by hendryman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:15 pm

bump. anyone found a solution to re-oder notes in piano roll? would be lovely for the 16 group drum machines...

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Guys,

If I understand you correctly.....

1. Open a MIDI and drop a MIDI effects rack into it.
2. Create a chain and then click on the key box just under the header.
3. Adjust the green bar so that it is only covering one key - lets say C1
4. Drop a Pitch effect (MIDI Effect) on to the chain and adjust the pitch parameter so that the chain outputs the note you want. So if you want C1 to play D1 in your VST move the pitch up 2 semitones.
5. Name the chain - Hat Articulation 1 for example.
6. Repeat to map all of the hits you like.

I'm in a bit of a rush so there might be a quicker way when I have more time to think about it but please let me know if this is the solution you are looking for.

All the best.

Keith

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 pm

M4L do this right out of the box - like "alter notes" in Reason, right?