Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Post Reply
sebastiansek
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by sebastiansek » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi

I have quiet simply question :)

Unfortunetly I cannot check propely subbass in the track and I know how important it is in the club.


Can I actually use spectrum to figure out this and then apply EQ.


Thanksx

Todd OMG
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by Todd OMG » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am

sebastiansek wrote:Hi

I have quiet simply question :)

Unfortunetly I cannot check propely subbass in the track and I know how important it is in the club.


Can I actually use spectrum to figure out this and then apply EQ.


Thanksx
put an eq3, turn bass to 60hz, uncheck the mid and high range so only the bass is playing. then solo your bass and kick tracks, you should still be able to see the master fader jump whenever the kick hits. if you can't, you have a problem. simple!

you can all thank me later.

sebastiansek
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by sebastiansek » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 am

thanks !!!!!

sebastiansek
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by sebastiansek » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 am

Thanks Todd, I have checked .... sounds quiet cool.

muckleberryblim
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by muckleberryblim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:41 am

A/B comparisons with well leveled tracks can help a lot, even if it spectrograms instead of audiable sound.

re.mark
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by re.mark » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Alternatively, in Live 7 and newer just load a 'Spectrum' onto the master and an EQ before it. View the spectrum and tweak the EQ to suit.
Still need to use your ears more than a graph though.

Zygi
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by Zygi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm

never use eq3 for this, it colours the sound

bandito3
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by bandito3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Zygi wrote:never use eq3 for this, it colours the sound
Could you explain this, please. what do you mean by, "'colors' the sound?"

I use eq3 quite often and now I'm afraid I've been "degrading" the original sound...

Zygi
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by Zygi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 am

bandito3 wrote:
Zygi wrote:never use eq3 for this, it colours the sound
Could you explain this, please. what do you mean by, "'colors' the sound?"

I use eq3 quite often and now I'm afraid I've been "degrading" the original sound...
rtfm plz... everything is there, you just need to open it. You're not "degrading" - coloring rather means "changing a lil bit". But it's there in the manual, and if you can't hear the difference between eq3 on with default settings on, and a "clean" sound, you should probably consider buying better monitors or changing the hobby to smthg else! :mrgreen:

rockspin
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:08 am

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by rockspin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Could you explain this, please. what do you mean by, "'colors' the sound?"

I use eq3 quite often and now I'm afraid I've been "degrading" the original sound...
rtfm plz... everything is there, you just need to open it. You're not "degrading" - coloring rather means "changing a lil bit". But it's there in the manual, and if you can't hear the difference between eq3 on with default settings on, and a "clean" sound, you should probably consider buying better monitors or changing the hobby to smthg else! :mrgreen:

give some real advice except "read the fucking manual." thats why we're here.
Last edited by rockspin on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

re.mark
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by re.mark » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm

EQ3's coloration of sound has been covered here many many times, so pardon those who's initial insticts would be to say RTFM as its become such a repeated topic.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133692


Having said that, the explaination is made quick simply and logicially in 3 sentances in the manual so there really isnt any excuse for not being aware.

bandito3
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by bandito3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Zygi wrote:
bandito3 wrote:
Zygi wrote:never use eq3 for this, it colours the sound
Could you explain this, please. what do you mean by, "'colors' the sound?"

I use eq3 quite often and now I'm afraid I've been "degrading" the original sound...
rtfm plz... everything is there, you just need to open it. You're not "degrading" - coloring rather means "changing a lil bit". But it's there in the manual, and if you can't hear the difference between eq3 on with default settings on, and a "clean" sound, you should probably consider buying better monitors or changing the hobby to smthg else! :mrgreen:
I've always noticed a slight difference in sound, but I was unaware it actually did change/color the sound. Thanks for the help though - and I'll stick to this hobby, obviously I'm always learning and I love it. Thanks, man.

Also, you seem to really know what you're doing in regards to production are there any site/books/forums you recommend for production type stuff. I visited the site in your signature and was impressed by the amount of professional sounding work that was available. So, yeah and help would be awesome.

buzby
Posts: 1461
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Reykjavik

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by buzby » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I visited the site in your signature and was impressed by the amount of professional sounding work that was available. So, yeah and help would be awesome.
which site is this - i cant see it in the signature

thanks
https://www.facebook.com/abletonideas
https://www.youtube.com/c/abletonideas
https://hiddensound1.bandcamp.com/
macbookpro (2.6ghz, 8gb, 10.13.3) suite 10.0.1, izotope rx adv., apogee duet, sound devices 633, senn mkh 30, 8060, 8050, sony pcm d100

Zygi
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by Zygi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 pm

I guess he meant Re.mark's site as I don't have one in my sig ;)

bandito3
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Sub Bass in Ableton Live

Post by bandito3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:54 am

re.mark wrote:EQ3's coloration of sound has been covered here many many times, so pardon those who's initial insticts would be to say RTFM as its become such a repeated topic.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133692


Having said that, the explaination is made quick simply and logicially in 3 sentances in the manual so there really isnt any excuse for not being aware.
woopsies... yeah, the above posts were directed at you, re.mark.

Sorry for the confusion. Either way the question is open to anyone.

Post Reply